Season 3 - Radical SR3-RS Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by COME_AND_GET_ME7, May 1, 2016.

1. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    is it worth setting my pit strategy so that if i pit when fog finishes ill get a set of tyres with higher pressure in for the remainder of the race, or wont be worth the time it will take to swap a set over? gonna run full fuel so i dont have to worry bout that in the pits but unsure as to tyre strategy?
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  2. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Itll come down to whether the extra 15 seconds (or however long it takes to change the tyres) at the pit stop is less than the cumulation of slower lap times (the sum of differences between your normal pace if you were on optimal tyre settings to the slower time from from running less than optimal pressures) for a portion of the race (or all if you try to run your pressures somewhere in the middle)

I dont know the answer yet, ive been pondering that myself - but im yet to get into race strategy testing...
    Zachery likes this.
  3. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    yeah im the same, im gonna test laps on my current pressure and my lower pressure in both weather slots tonight, work out the difference and go from there. will let you guys know what i come up with.
  4. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Try:
    133FL/128FR
    132RL/129RR

did a test run today, and without changing tyres temps never went over 103. Track temp at 29deg on lap 20 temps sat at 96 on all 4, finishing pressures at FL 25 FR 24 RL 26 RR 25
    webnomad likes this.
  5. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Excellent mate thanks. Will try that tomorrow night as im not gonna be able to use the rig tonight.
  6. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

You must of had tyre wear on 1. I ran a full length race last night with @zuluwoffle , @Spidey_11 and @SPL Racing and finishing with 65% on the front left after 28 laps is simply impossible. I changed tyres mid race and still finished with just 52% on the front left. With that said it you'd still have some of the best tyre wear from the numbers i've seen if you managed 65% at the mid race point on x2 tyre wear.

For Brno you'd be stupid not to change tyres purely on a tyre wear basis. It also gives you the bonus benefit of tweaking tyre pressures for the warmer 2nd half of the race although I had no issues running my pressures for the entire race. Brno has by far the worse tyre wear of the entire track list so while you may be forced to change tyres at Brno, I still expect not changing tyres to be the ideal pit strategy in more races than not.
    Spidey_11 and zuluwoffle like this.
  7. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    With real tyre wear I'm sure this would be possible but with 2x I don't think so. If you can vh then you're going to be sitting pretty. Just hope your lap times can hold up at the end while everyone has fresh boots on :thumbsup:
  8. vh_mik

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Sorry mate I'm on 2x wear. Ive reverted back to wheel so not so hefty on tyres anymore. I pushed it really hard yesterday on a test and ended with 53%

My track settings are exact as per first post.
    [​IMG]
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  9. vh_mik

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    And 65% front left is possible on 2x wear, But just don't expect to be anywhere near the front as you need to do 59's-01s to do it ;)
  10. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Well looks like you'll be the only one opting to not change tyres. Although you may still want to give changing tyres a go as you may be able to make up the 16s you loose in the pits over the last half of the race. Zulu pitted at roughly lap 18 and managed his fastest lap on the last lap with a 1:54.002.
  11. vh_mik

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Yeah I've tested the no stop strategy and can do 54's nearly every lap except for last 5 where you have a big loss in times. I haven't tested the tyre change yet.

@zuluwoffle @COME_AND_GET_ME7 what was the total race time of your test?
  12. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Yeah that's it. So it begs the question, do you put on fresh tires or not during the pit stop. It's going to be an interesting race from a strategy point of view.
    stucar17 likes this.
  13. COME_AND_GET_ME7

It was just over 55 minutes but it was far from pretty as I spun at least 5 times most of which were in the first half of the race. Will be on later tonight for another run. Hopefully I can do it without any major incidents.
  14. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Welp.... if you can no-tyre-stop the race Mik.... thats very concerning.....especially with your pace..... can i have my Mercedes Tyre wear back?!? :cry:
    If anyone has a full race distance happening tonight, i'll try and make it :thumbsup:
  15. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Yeah I spun 4 times as well at the start which didn't help so we would have both been in the 54 minute range.
  16. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    will be running a race distance tonight, hopefully at about 9 ish
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  17. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Ran a race distance last night and no chance I will get through without changing tires.

Anyone struggling with a tune just let us know here and we will help you out. My tune is a little taily on full fuel, but comes good as the race goes on. Ran the last 9 laps last night in the low 54s.
    zuluwoffle and seth123 like this.
  18. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    I'd love a look at your setup Stu. I've spent a lot of time checking out the paint on the barriers so now it's time to stick it on the track lol.
    No where near your time so would love to try something different :)
    stucar17 likes this.
  19. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    Right. Finally into the 1.55s. With a reasonably tidy 1.55.597. Still, plenty of work to do.
    Want to share my setup at this point and seek advice.
    Tire pres:
    FL 1.35/ FR 1.30
    RL 1.34/ RR 1.31
    Brake bala: 60%
    Brake duct:5%
    Down force: 1/6
    Camber: front -1.3/ rear -0.2
    Ltd Slp Acc: 30
    Ltd Slp Dclarr: 60
    Radiator: 0%
    Rear Sway bar: 34
    Front Sway Bar: 61

Everything else is stock i think.

Tire temps look hot. After 5 hot lap:
    Front Left: 112° 25psi
    Front Rigt: 99° 25psi
    Rear Left: 107° 28psi
    Rear Right: 104° 26psi

Theres still 2-3 tenths out there still i can find with driving style.
    Any advice regarding improvement to set up?

Track temp 28
    Ambient 20
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  20. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Mechanical failures are off so reduce radiator to 0 and you'll be doing consistent 55's
    ADZA_85 likes this.