Season 3 - Radical SR3-RS Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by COME_AND_GET_ME7, May 1, 2016.

1. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

A new season brings a new car and a new set of tuning challenges. The purpose of this thread is to be a place where all can share their setups for the round ahead. This should hopefully improve lap times across the board and ultimately make closer championship battles as more importance is shifted back to good race craft and drivers skill opposed to having a great setup. Which in-turn should make it a more enjoyable season for all.

In past seasons tunes have been buried 100's of posts deep into threads making them difficult to find. To combat this I will do my best to include all tunes shared in a series of posts at the start of this thread. One post per round.

In addition to just tunes I hope to discuss potential strategies and post any data that I or others may have gathered that may be of help to deciding what strategy will best work for you.

In past seasons a lot of the information I intend on sharing would be for my fellow teammates eyes only. I hope others can see the benefit of sharing tunes and info with the wider community allowing the figurative walls that the teams championship has created to be taken down.

Now onto the car..... The car selected for PCars season 3 is the Radical SR3-RS. IMO the car feels great out of the box, but like always there is definitely room for improvement. I'm yet to touch the majority of the settings as i've been more concerned with the tracks and room settings in the large amount of testing that i've done. I will be sure to post my setup once I start making changes. For now here is the default setup which many of you may want to refer back to without clearing your entire tune.

[​IMG]

Let the discussion begin.....
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 1 - Brno - 28 Laps
  3. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 2 - Zolder - 36 Laps
  4. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 3 - Sakitto National - 2 x 24 Lap Sprints
  5. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 4 - Monza - 28 Laps
  6. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 5 - Spa - 39 Laps
  7. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 6 - Zhuhai - 35 Laps
  8. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Round 7 - Watkin Glen GP - 32 Laps
  9. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    What's your favourite bond movie?
    ADZA_85 likes this.
  10. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Great job CAGME.....am sure a lot of guys will be looking for some help with this..

For me its how to stop the lift off oversteer...car seems to grip up suddenly in the front end and cause the oversteer.....probs just the way i drive it !
  11. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Yeah I've solved that with how I drive it. You just have to keep partial throttle through the corners. Its particularly important for the slow corners. I found roughly a second in turn 2 and 3 at Sakitto national with it. It can also help to run a gear higher than you think you need. It doesn't cost you much time as you can plant it a lot earlier without fear of the rears loosing traction.
  12. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    As CAGME said, being a mid engine car you'll need to keep a bit of neutral throttle through the corners to keep balanced, otherwise the weight in the back will just try to overtake you if you lift off suddenly and have any steering angle applied (due to the rear biased weight distribution).

You can tame it a little, bit with increasing the diff deceleration and by increasing the rear slow rebound or front slow bump (which slows down the weight transfer forward giving you more time to react to it). But they won't be able to solve it completely.
    webnomad, stucar17 and George like this.
  13. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    Hi all.
    Great idea CAGME. I only started driving this car last night in the M&G.
    ITs a different beast to tame. Tire temperatures seemed to have discussed a little last night with some variancew across our room after racing.
    Im running 25psi Front/ 32psi rear.
    Certainly had issues getting tires to temp with default settings, if they came to temp at all.

With tires at temp i found myself struggling to get the front end to stick, particularly in the slower corners as i found i had good pace in the fast stuff.
  14. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Radical works best with 26psi front 29psi rear HOT (for me anyways) in the testing I did with a few guys, my car was mostly untuned with only rear downforce at 4 and camber at 0 for all wheels. My times were pretty close to div 1 mid pack times so the car doesn't need much.
    webnomad and ADZA_85 like this.
  15. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    First time driving the car last night.
    Took a few corners to get used to the lift-off oversteer, but as the guys above said, it's fairly manageable with some throttle control. Once I got used to that, the thing seemed to come alive for me.
    Default setup works a treat, so I'll probably just stick with that for the season.
    Great on tyres, so most races will be a sprint from start to finish! Love it!

Question: Seeing as tuning is allowed, there's no point in limiting Assists to just TCS/ABS?
    Following on from that, are there any other Assists that are on by default?

Question 2: During the race, there's a popup which states Pit required in blah blah.. and it pops up every lap until you pit.. Does this affect anything and how do you get rid of it?
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  16. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Question 1) Allowing stability control would force people to use it as it gives a clear improvement in lap times. TCS and ABS help but you can be faster if you turn them off therefore not disadvantage get those that don't wish to run them.

Question 2) Compulsory stops shouldn't be checked in the room settings as the pop-up is annoying. We're all honest people here. Take the pit or be prepared to be shamed as it will be fairly obvious if you don't.
    Spidey_11 and ADZA_85 like this.
  17. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Not trying to de-rail the thread here, but last night in Div1 when we had Mandatory Pitstop ON in the settings, it also cancelled out anyone who Jump Started's drive through..... so it should be a must have Turned Off option in the settings for that reason alone
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  18. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    I cant drive with any aids. I hate it. The car feels too disconnected from me and manipulated. I agree with CAGME about pit stops. Id certainly know if someone around me never pitted and id call them out
  19. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    I was actually wondering whether it affected what your pit team actually did during the stop.
    I recall the popup saying something like "You must pit within 16 laps" or
    Why must I pit within a certain amount of laps? What if I don't?
    What's it basing it on? Amount for fuel? Tyres?
  20. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    if mandatory pit is selected, if you don`t pit within those laps you get disqualified going into your last lap.