Season 3 - Radical SR3-RS Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by COME_AND_GET_ME7, May 1, 2016.

1. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    FYI You can get away with a bit of front camber, like -1.5 deg, to improve turn in without impacting the benefit that 0 camber brings too much as the way the rolling drag is modelled the effect comes mostly from the rear tyres.
  2. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Understeer on exit could be a number of things...

Firstly make sure you're not trying to accelerate too early. Too much throttle too early will push the front end if you still have too much steering angle applied. High front tyre temps and or high front deg will occur if you're doing this.

On the tune side try and increase front slow rebound which will slow down the weight transfer off the front tyres as you try to accelerate. If the issue only occurs on bumpy sections of the track then reduce front fast bump and rebound which will allow the front suspension to respond to the bumps and keep the tyres in contact with the road as you try to accelerate.

Hope that helps
  3. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    One of @TheJuzzy and mines go to tuning method for the BMW Z4
    "What's ur camber set at?"
    "Oh reduce that sh*t, give that a go."
    "Ahhhh mate bloody brilliant :)"
    Zoooooommm!!
    TheJuzzy and stucar17 like this.
  4. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    @The_Spectre i don't know how you know this stuff but I love you for sharing it. Maybe I just love you full stop... I have spent a lot of time staring at your rear o_O
    Blindman, SuiCid3 and ADZA_85 like this.
  5. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Sweet some useful tips in here! I think i may need to reduce my camber by the sounds of it, perhaps 2.5 degree's of camber must be a little excessive compared to what you guys are running o_O
    What are the benefits to zero camber apart from perhaps more stability from a bigger contact patch?
    Sam D Blacklock and TheJuzzy like this.
  6. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Running zero camber means that the rolling resistance of the tyre is at its lowest. Due to the mechanics of the game people have found that running zero camber ( giving higher speeds on the straights) outweighs the cornering speed benefits that camber gives. The effect was reduced in a previous patch but it is still faster to run low camber.

Caveat- its obviously track dependent so the benefit of higher straight speeds will be greater on monza than around monaco.
  7. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Lol :roflmao:

It's all basic vehicle dynamics really :p im happy to try to help anyone whose having problems and try to explain why the behaviour is occuring and give some ideas to fix it :)
  8. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    im hitting 57s consistently as a div4 driver but havent played with the camber at all yet so hoping to crack 56s over the weekend.

Thanks Spectre!
    webnomad, stucar17 and The_Spectre like this.
  9. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    Ok, it's been said above but I've just tried it. Reduce your camber, try front -1.5 and rear -.3 and get ready to unleash full throttle mid corner as approaching exit of the corner! Simply by changing my camber I am now in the 56's
    Not sure how close to 0 you can go with camber but try it out.
    Thanks to the guys who provided this info :)
    The_Spectre and stucar17 like this.
  10. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    there is a very good chance you could be in the wrong div mate if in the 56s....;)
    webnomad and George like this.
  11. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Im running -1.5 front and 0 rear - Try 0 front as well, but i find a bit of camber helps initial turn in
  12. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    I'm not the quickest but hope this helps people with line and gears for corners. Also those who can't practice through the week :)
    I'm happy to get pointers on where I can make up time
    webnomad and George like this.
  13. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Im not there. Hoping to get there lol. Finished mid table in div4 last season so ill say im bout right for now haha

That being said im happy to move up if you think i need to. I think of it as a challenge.
  14. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    Yay. Im into the 1.56 mark.

Incredibly hot front left tire.
    Temps after 5 laps
    116/104
    25psi/25psi
    109/105
    27psi/26psi

Cold pressure settings
    1.26bar/1.26bar
    1.30bar/1.30bar

Advise?
  15. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

Yeah your cold tyre pressures are far too low. Try 1.40 bar / 1.30 bar front 1.40 bar / 1.35 bar rear.
    ADZA_85 likes this.
  16. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Different tracks and different driving styles cause different tyres to be worked harder. Brno is a clockwise track and typically that means more right hand corners than left so the tyres on the left side of the car do more work. Try and adjust the cold pressures on the left side up until they are roughly equal across the car when hot.

A rough rule of thumb is if you increase the cold pressure by 0.05bar then the tyre temp should drop around 5deg (note i said rough rule of thumb). The green tyre window is between 80 and 105 deg usually and i typically aim for around 95-100deg hot for a race setup.

Based on your settings id try something like

1.45 / 1.35 front
    And
    1.4 /1.4 rear
    As a starting point and fine tune up or down from there.
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Spidey_11 and ADZA_85 like this.
  17. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Is this a quali attempt or are you trying a full fuel run?? And what temp is the track when you did this? Don't forget we start in fog and go to clear late in the race and by then the tyre wear will keep the temps down. Running 140 might not get enough heat in for the first 10 laps while there is fog

I think you might be leaning to hard on the steering.

low fuel set up is;
    124/121 fronts
    122/121 rears
    Over 10 laps never went above 106. My race set up isn't that much more and sits on 25psi on all 4 at 107 max on full fuel with 65% remaining on front left after 28laps.
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  18. ADZA_85

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    That was with 10laps of fuel.
    Just trying to find a setting that feels right really, ill do a full race simulation over the weekend. Thanks for all the info peepz :)
  19. autech91

autech91 Professional

Personally I do all my testing with full race fuel, better off having a setting which works in the race and gets better as the fuel lightens. That way you get to know how the car will feel in the race too.
  20. ADZA_85

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    I totally agree.
    Im just trying to get my qually pace on par with the others. Make sure im batting in the right park.
    Spidey_11 likes this.