Division 2 season 10

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    1st lap incident was like a concetina effect (I think, that's how you spell it)!
  2. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    No worries Aero. I tried to thread the needle through there, as I got through the 2 cars that were sideways, Dutchy appeared in front of me out of the smoke an I barrelled into him... Sorry Dutch, I didn't see you until it was too late.

Not one of my favoured tracks, was definitely a challenge, but put down some consistent laps after the pit stop, so all in all, not a bad night.
  3. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Guys,

Thanks heaps for making that a clean and fun race.... I (and the other mods) always have our hearts in our mouths at season start, particularly with new guys racing. All went to plan, which is great. 14 cars on the grid and it looked like there were some great battles....

Congrats to N64thestig, Beannie and COB (hows that shoulder!) on the podium. Good pace from groover, with a lot of guys that will find some serious pace as the season goes on......

Firewind, feeling for you mate.....the spin was self induced...a wheel on the grass there on cold tires, with the slipstream effect is a recipe for disaster... The lag hit though was completely out of your control. Just one of those things unfortunately......At the time you got hit, myself, Cob and barra all nearly got cleaned up as well.....What i would say, is that you had the pace to still get some points though ......

Results and race report to follow !
  4. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

It sounds like you fellas had a riot, and had a good showing as well! How'd you go Stu?
  5. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I just hope to god I don't cop a 20s penalty please be leniant stu! XD
  6. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Hey chev, how are you stranger ?

Got 5th.....qualied 4th, though i would come back at them as their tires wore out, but they were too fast....had 1 big off on about lap 4......wondering what happened to fire !

So much better racing with a big grid too !
  7. zampli

zampli Team Driver

how much can you cut? do you mean you jumped over the first half of the last chicane? or is it the right-hander before your talking about?
  8. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

I'm going alright Stu, just been floating about. You're right about the big grids, although it's something we really never had in Div 1. I just don't think us pros get paid enough you know :p
  9. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    The penultimate corner, though understeering though the previous bend I have no choice but to cut, though the black line runs over that portion of the track, but it seems that it would compromise my speed into the final bend, beannie had a (slight) run on me at the line.
  10. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Results here guys, ladder for div 2 updated.

http://raceonoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=35170#p35170

@ stig i have reviewed your last corner antics and find that you should get a drive through...........

ONLY JOKING !!

All good, it actually nearly cost you the win running wide onto the straight there could have ended in disaster ! You gained no advantage, and beannie was far enough behind that it made no difference to the final result. Well done !

Pending no other protests results will stand.
  11. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Ok, race report time.
    PART 1

I was way off the pace in practice, though I was heading for a 35.4 before crashing. But it was still good enough for forth, surprisingly.
    Onto qualifying, wasted two minutes trying to find a Red Bull (love that drink) and swiftly sprung into action. Being one lap behind, Fire was on provisional pole. I then smashed his time by a second, before fire going a tenth faster. On my second lap, I was heading for a 35.6, but a biiiiig slide cost me, but not enough as I took provisional pole by .036 secs. Knowing I could go faster, I spun at the hairpin. After coming into the pits, my car sat there for ages, and my chance for one more lap was gone. The tension was high, beannie dominated practice, i knew he could snatch pole, but not to be, pole on my first race, Jacques Villeneuve style!
  12. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    lol, thank you stu, i nearly had a Woody Toy Story 1 reaction (when the match is extinguished) but I saw the rest, and, wow, what a race
  13. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    OK, My race report.....

Well i did no prac today which makes me struggle......did about 3 or 4 laps before qual so not a great way to start. (reaches for the kleenex)

Anyway, managed to throw it on 4th with a 36.7 i think, so was kinda happy with that, didn't think i would get near my PB....and i was right !

Race started and i was very cautious, after reminding everyone that we wanted a clean race, i didnt want to be the one punting someone off the track !

I was sitting in about 4th, then had half a moment coming onto the back straight and was passed by beannie and cob i think. Was thinking that i would sit and watch others fall off the road in front of me, but it just didnt happen, till on lap 3, poor old F1REWIND spun, then got bent over by the network and copped a lag hit which sent him to last....

Up to 5th, then thinking about F1RE instead of what i was doing, saw me crash on the front straight. My missus says i cant multi task, and obviously she is right........again.......back to 6th, barra passed me while i was making black lines on the road, he didnt wave though, he was trying to get through 1 and 2 without having a clench moment....

I slowly reeled Barra in and we had yet another (ill say it again, pleasure racing close with you mate) great battle for about 4 or 5 laps, i could see his rear tires were going off, so i pushed to get past on the back straight. I went one more lap then pitted, barra kept going and pitted next lap, the same as groover i think.

I managed to get past groover after his pit, and held onto 4th for a few laps till he got past and then blew me into the weeds ! I managed to stay clear of Barra till the end finishing 5th, about 10 secs clear, but about 20 secs off the lead.

Too fast tonight guys, great job. Was looking for the mistakes from you but they didnt come....

Crash of the night has to go to the 4 or 5 cars that had a front straight pile up on lap 2. Think it was dutch, CJ, natman, flood and AERO all involved. Stumbles did a great Lightening McQueen impersonation and managed to swerve through it all with no damage........couldn't quite see but i think he had his tongue out ! Not really anything some of you could do there, its hard driving through a wall of smoke !

On to round 2...... should be a cracker.
  14. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    PART 2

Race Time After some toots of my novelty horn, we were away! After a perfect start, I have a 1 second lead in fire on lap 1. But he gains on me at the chicanes. At the hairpin, I was defending a potential move by running deliberately wide, however it worked too well, fire was out! Since my closest rival was out, I decided to push hard. I pulled out a 3second lead by lap 4. But groover was responding. For around 5 straight laps, the gap stayed the same, with him gaining at sector one. By now, beannie was shaping up a challenge on grooves, knowing this, i backed off a little, wanting to conserve the tyres. I notice beannie moves into 2nd, grooves is down to 4th! After a lap of conservation, beannie is pushing hard, knowing the race is well and truly on. He closes the gap from 4.2 seconds to 2.9, By lap 12, i think that I need to pit, but surprisingly, beannie pits, so kept going according to plan. I pull a 9 second lead on (i think) stu, and pit on lap 14. Grooves stays out, and pulls an 11 second lead. But I really wanted to know the gap to beannie (hint, PD!), once grooves pits on lap 16, I know. I gained 3 seconds during the pit stop phase, and I promptly do a 35.883, my fastest lap ever. However, the car seemed less grippy than in the previous stint, and beannie continued to gain. On lap 20, I give natman a hoot as I attempt to lap him. However he is keeping up, despite his destroyed tyres. At the start of lap 22, I was well clear of natman, having made an error, but beannie closed the gap to 4.3 seconds. Upon entrance to the chicane, I clip the apex too hard, the car bounces off the tarmac and straight into the barrier, with miraculously, no damage. But this gifts beanne the lead, and a second lead at the end of the lap. You absolute idiot. However, i start to gain, and on lap 24, I pass him at the hairpin. He comes back, and I cop a lag twitch which I saved. But at the long corner before the straight, he makes a desperate dive up the inside as i control a drift, and retakes the lead. But I was closely following, and I take the lead on the corner before the final tunnel. I notice how much faster beannie is at the chicane, and copy his line. Not a good idea. I run horrendously wide and somehow save the car while drifting away from the barrier, beannie makes a golden opportunity work by going up the inside, his bump actually helpimg me maintain speed. Through excellent recovery pace, we are nose to tail coming out of the final tunnel. But he makes a mistake on the 3rd last corner. Fearing he could make an error which could take us both out, I back off slightly. Beannie as predicted runs wide, clouting the wall at the final corner, somehow not spinning. This lets me past, and I pull 1.5 second lead at the next sector. These last 2 laps would be cruicial. A wild drift at the corner after the first tunnel leaves us side by side at the next tunnel. But I hold my line, and clip the apex at the next corner perfectly. This doesn't stop beannie, and he dives for an overtake at the tight left hander, not reading my heavy braking at gives me a slight tap into the inside wall, but beannie costs himself half a second. Last lap. Knowing beannie is quicker on this set of tyres. I just have keep the thing on the road. Which i precisely not do as i run wide at the hairpin and brings beannie within striking distance. Beannie should have had me down the back straight. But he ran wide, and the gap was too far. But he just keeps on fighting. By the tunnel near tge end, we are nose to tail once again, but i pull slightly away. However, understeer returns and forces me to skip the apex, giving beannie a run. But the finish line was too far away. I cross the line to win (win win!) on debut by 0.445 seconds. Unbelievable.
    In retrospect, I should have wrapped this win up at the pitstops, but beannie is a relentless fighter who never gave up. Indy is next, a track i despise with a passion. I certainly do not expect to win. If anyone has a capture card I seriously advise recording it, it was a sight to behold.
    Please note, this report was written off memory and if i have made any errors please edit at will.
    Thank you to all especially stuart for convincing me to join ROOZ despite my initial reluctance. And look where we are now? Also thanks to you guys, i joined FB, and I'm really enjoying it. Good luck to all for the rest of the season!
    Cheers, Jono
  15. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Yeah well done jono.

Watched a few laps of your battle with beannie and it was a tight race. could have gone either way.

Thanks to stumbles too for hosting. Once we got going the only issue was F1rewind, which, although it sucks big ones for him, is pretty good considering 14 in the room.
  16. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Yeah, stumbles is a great host
  17. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    Good race fellas, well done N64 and Beannie.

I had a pretty good race, even though I was over half a second per lap slower than what I could do in Gary's room earlier in the week. I also got lucky a few times, which is a nice change given luck I have had with connections and lag over the last season or so.

Anyway, qualified 8th (i think) and got off the line well and managed to hold position and not trade paint with anyone in the first few corners. Played follow the leader on lap one and managed to avoid Dutch as he nerfed into the wall on the pit straight, then got lucky again when Firewind spun coming out of the right hander after pit exit. He was sliding around on the grass on the right side of the track, so I went left, so he came back across the track. Clipped him, but stayed damage free and pointing the right way.

Lap 3 was when I got the lag tap, sounds like I got VERY lucky here. I drove past an apparently stationary car in the rock garden between tunnels, then got a bump and right rear damage. I must have been side swiped because I didnt even see the lagging car, it was moving that quick. Lost a couple of seconds to Stu and Groover while shaking off the damage. Then Stu stuck his car in the wall, giving me 5th place. Again, I managed to pick the right direction. Stu then started to chase me down, finally passing me at the end of the back straight on lap 13. Stu pitted straight away, and I followed.

We came out of the pits exactly as we went in - separated by about 2 sec, but in the middle of another 3 car battle. Stu slotted in in front of AERO, me behind. At the end of that lap, Dutch found the wall on the front straight again (what was it with people spinning in front of me!?) and I could set off after Stu. A couple of good laps had me right on him, but a couple of scrappy ones fixed that, and the rest of the race was pretty lonely except for when I lapped Natman, who was very nicely drifting most of the corners at the time.

All in all, happy with 6th, no offs and no connection issues, at a track I like, but am not particularly good at. Bring on indy road! With all the laps I did on that GT academy back in the day, it feels like a second home!
  18. F1R3W1ND

F1R3W1ND Rookie

yeah i shoulda stayed in but u know what ikts like when u rage. i was angry with my mistake i made and the icing on the cake with that lag. i need a new controller i will say that much.....
  19. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    I don't think I need to put my race report in, n64 summed it up very well.... And to be honest n64 I was pushing to finish the race clean and without mistake... When I come up to you in those final few, I think I may have gone to conservative, waiting for u to mess up, but you held your ground with weaker tyres.. well done mate.
  20. GTDutch

GTDutch Rookie

PSN ID
    GTP_Dutch
    I loved being back in the racing again even though i lost the battle with flood for the last couple of laps to score the final point. But all in all am pretty happy with the race i had in terms of close racing. After having wheel trouble all week with a bad steering wheel cable, i finally attacked it with copious amounts of electrical tape before the race and it held up. Unfortuately it meant that i had no one to blame but myself for the lack of pace or the crashes! :(

Scored a pb in qualy of 36.6 but just never quite got the feel for the car and track in time. First corner was always touchy, was terribly inconsistent for the run into the back straight and the run out of the back straight, and the fast sweepers before main straight were also often dicey for me. Well obviously as i think i spun it twice during the race onto the main straight. Apologies to all those behind me on the 2nd lap.

So after that initial off, i set into a great battle with a bunch of guys for most of the first half and realised why id been missing the league for so long :) great racing all round by the new guys. Struggled to even get close to pb during the race, pitted uneventfully and then continued to fall away from the mid pack. Saving grace however was the last few laps of battle with flood which was great fun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.