GT6 GT Academy - Live events

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by Stumbles, Mar 3, 2014.

1. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Haven't seen this thread for a while... Ian, Im sure you'll make it, if you want to. Also, you'll be some good competition when it comes to the fitness side of things! :D
    Stumbles likes this.
  2. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    There is nothing showing its happening yet, that is just the TV show for last year lol.
  3. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Yep I know that. But Im sure it will happen.

I'd be surprised if its not announced after this series finishes. It was end of March last year that the articles all were written online, and then may? when the online stuff started.
  4. metal

metal New Recruit

I know you mean well with the post rotor, but it's a little off the mark. But that's only due to my own personal issues.

I'll explain it now, so that all can understand.
    4 years ago, I had a massive mental breakdown. Ended up in a psych ward for a few weeks. Was diagnosed with psychotic depression. And i've been on anti-depressants ever since.

Thankfully these work tremendously well in regards to my mental state, and in pain management (the type i'm on is used for physical pain management as well). The reason I ended up in such a state is due to physical problem. I suffer from muscles that twitch on their own. It's like someone sitting there, pinching you, here, and there, and everywhere, between 5-15 times a minute. I also suffer a constant never ending slight headache. But the main problem is when I was trying to go to sleep (on no meds), I would be 'almost' asleep... then BANG goes one somewhere in my head, or in my leg, or arm. :):):):)... awake... :/ rinse. repeat. til insane.

Anyway, these conditions resulted in massive sleep deprivation that combined with depression, led to losing my mind (it's happened 3 times... lost 3 jobs... only the last one resulted in hospitalisation, but the first 2 times were nowhere near as bad as the last). The first 2 times I returned home, and my mind came back to me within a month or so, as I could then just sleep when needed. The last time it took almost 6 months of 10-12hours of sleep a night (this time assisted with meds), until I regained some stability. Nowadays, i'm fine. The pain is managed enough, and the anti-depressants work extremely well in sending me to sleep each night. This may be quickly, or it may take an hour or 2. But as long as i'm not waking up to an alarm, I sleep generally well. I just keep on top of my required sleep required, and I built my current life around it.

So how does this relate to gt academy?

Well, when I came into gt academy, I knew that I really only had 1 chance to win. I was 36 at the time, and I know they are not looking for an 'older' driver. As crazy as that sounds, they are wanting drivers between 20-30 to win... older drivers have slower reflexs... right? Well, I know that isn't totally correct, as I can still be at the top of sim racing, even at my age. But in terms of longevity in a career as a racing car driver, that's actually getting on a bit...

That ain't a cop out though. I aimed to just show them how wrong that thinking is.

But, I really just ran out of time. I practiced way too many cars, and the amount of tracks I had to get through really didn't help. I never spent a bunch of time, just in 1 car, at 1 track, just to really push it to learn exactly what the physics engine needed.

So, what's my plan? Well, I just started running gt6 again in tt mode. I'm probably only going to learn a few cars, but i'll be spending way more time in each car at one time. And i'll just work slowly through all the tracks I have time for.

Will I be banned/disqualed for lying on the medical form? Maybe, but that's ok (as i'll be admiting all this in a letter to them, if I qual this year). But I hid those secrets because I know full well, that saying you have been in a psych ward, as well as having physical problems, is probably an auto 'we don't really want you' red card. And at best, it's a 'look, if you make it to silverstone, we will cut you early regardless'.

At least this next time, I don't plan to try to get off my meds before going there (I assumed their would be a drug test while there, as they did it in the american qual my teammate won). Going off my meds was a mistake, as I came in a decent amount sleep deprived.

I still want to try to win gt academy. I know I can :) Even just going to silverstone for the experience, and the chance to win is worth it. But it really doesn't matter if I get through this year, or the next, or the next. At some point, i'll be put in a real car, and hopefully I make no mistakes, and just shine.

Well. I hope :)

Cheers,
    metal
    Blindman likes this.
  5. metal

metal New Recruit

Um, your not interested in seeing how the aussies that ran last year in silverstone went? Like, not results wise, we know that, but how the competition worked? What each competitor mistake was that made them get cut? etc?
  6. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Yeah i watched the first episode, wouldn't miss it for the world, plus it might end up being what happens in next race camp.
  7. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Peter and luca can't ocertake
    skywalker and R0T0R-AU86 like this.
  8. R0T0R-AU86

R0T0R-AU86 Team Driver

PSN ID
    R0T0R-AU86

Sorry to hear about that mate, and glad your OK... We haven't heard from you so didn't know what was going on... Thing is we have all been their at one point in our lives, some worse than others... Some deal with it well, some not. As far as I know, the only thing that kept me sane was physical activity like the gym, running or cycling. You will be surprised how much you feel better, when oxygen hits the vanes in the blood stream and the brain, you seem to forget about everything else.

I am by no means a doctor but that's what I have heard/read, and I know what works for me... And others...

As for the age thing, lol mate, don't worry about that.. they haven't said.. as long as your over 18 and have a full licence it doesn't matter... Have a look at the 33 y/o that almost won the US one, but ran wide on the last corner... Also Bryan Heitkotter, his now 34? since winning...

Why don't you try and get some enjoyment out of GT6 and join our weekly league? Instead of just setting times, you will get to race and learn to get some handy race craft... Without a doubt I have learnt a hell of a lot race craft the last year, racing with the likes of MINT, Warrior, and Holland... They are without a doubt the best active GT6 racers in Australia currently. And as you know Holland won the Australia GT Academy back in 2010...

GT Academy is just around the corner, start getting hardcore on your training, eating all the right foods (less beer :), which also makes you feel better) and get on GT6 as much as you can. As you know the game is 25% of the final mark.. And fitness is 25% however I believe its more (in there eyes)...

Funny thing, even if any of us make the international final, its still a hell of a long way to win it! You need to do everything in your power, this includes cramping in the stomach just trying to hold a plank as long as you can until you can't hold yourself any more and giving 110%, 100% of the time! To be honest this needs to be from nationals....

My way of preparing for this years (if I'm here for it) is pain! lots of physical pain! The mental training is GT6 racing in the league, keeping focus! That is also training GT6... and setting FL's.
    I also think this years GTA nationals is going to be different to take of last years... They are going to mix it up, so no one has a advantage from how went last year that just missed out.. I could be wrong..

Any ways, point to this don't be a stranger!
    KoAStR, Blindman and skywalker like this.
  9. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Tbh the most important thing is determination, you have bucket loads of that and you will do everything in your power to win and that alone will take you past your physical limits and give you the ability to strengthen all areas, if you don't go into a competition like this with the mindset to win you won't get close.

I can feel that I am significantly more determined then last year and that alone has made me train waay harder (to complete failure everytime basically) more willing to do things that will give me experience and all round healthier.

Last week I ran the tredmill till I was frothing from the mouth and couldn't breathe lol.
    R0T0R-AU86 and skywalker like this.
  10. metal

metal New Recruit

Ta for the support.

From what I can tell, the current season has started, so I have to wait til next season to race? Then just send the required lap replay?

btw, I don't plan on running abs. I find the car alot more 'normal' with it off. Even if it's equates to slower laptimes. (I plan to turn it on once the academy rounds start online though)

Also, as far as fitness, I still am progressing in karate, and still cycle racing (rode an A grade local crit a few weeks ago).
  11. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    You can join from any round im pretty sure, just set your lap in to qualify and the mods will put you in a division, most rooms sign up 16 drivers but it rarely has 16 in the race but it gets close.
  12. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Yeah join in, its a lot of fun, even if the cars arent that realistic.
  13. metal

metal New Recruit

14. joshmuggo

joshmuggo Rookie

It's back for 2015.

Sorry I couldn't tell you guys but I was bound by Nissan.
  15. R0T0R-AU86

R0T0R-AU86 Team Driver

PSN ID
    R0T0R-AU86
    I knew it!!!! cheeky bugger!

Can you tell us if you are going to be the promo girl for it? i mean guy! haha :p :D :D
    Kart-No-1 likes this.
  16. joshmuggo

joshmuggo Rookie

you'll be seeing me around ;-)
    Peter Wise, KoAStR, Ad2mny and 3 others like this.
  17. R0T0R-AU86

R0T0R-AU86 Team Driver

PSN ID
    R0T0R-AU86
    Good stuff! Be seeing that Mug around.. get it.. haha ... ugh sigh I know and I'm not even a dad... that i know of.. hahaha :p
    Peter Wise and JonoStan96 like this.
  18. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Good luck guys, I know we'll get a winner from here!
  19. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

You got to get to Melbourne at least jono
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  20. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I hope to at least get close.