Sim Controls Thrustmaster vs Fanatec

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by dj2ca, Jun 23, 2021.

?

Thrustmaster vs Fanatec

1. Thrustmaster

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Fanatec

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. dj2ca

dj2ca Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Yeah I know, the answer is fairly clear here but I would like some input.

I have some money to spend on an upgrade, I currently have the G29. My options seem to be either spending about $1,300 on a Thrustmaster TS-PC/TS-XW with the T-LCM pedals, or spending about $1,800 on a CSL DD (when it drops later this year) with a Clubsport wheel and the Clubsport V3 pedals. I know the Thrustmaster will be a decent upgrade but I'm wrestling with the idea of spending that extra $500 or so on the Fanatec. Please note this will be used purely on PC, no console. If anyone has input on either of these setups it would be greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest anything more expensive as I am trying to keep my costs as low as possible (I'll also be grabbing the HP Reverb G2 VR headset).
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Absolutely the CSL DD. TM make good gear but it's not on the level of Fanatec so if you can afford it then go with the Fanatec.
    dj2ca likes this.
  3. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Either of those options would be good. The $500 more for the Fanatec system, or ~%40 more; is it 40% better? Maybe. I haven't tried Fanatec gear or DD's myself, but I'd be keen to give them a go (with the boost kit for the DD I presume). I do have the T-LCM's though and they are very good and good value in my opinion. I have a T-GT also, which is probably not all that different from a TS-PC, and it's pretty good in games like AC, RRE, AMS2, DR2, but not great in ACC. That could just be the game, but I suspect a Fanatec DD may go better in ACC.

And yes, to get the most out of either option you will want something rigid to mount them to. I'm only using a NLR wheelstand pro so a little bit of movement in the wheel though the pedal deck is fairly solid. I'll need to get a solid rig before I consider any further upgrades and that's probably a while off.
    dj2ca likes this.
  4. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

The review by Boosted Media suggests that the CSL DD would be considered a worthy upgrade over the TS-PC.
    https://boostedmedia.net/sim-racing/hands-on-with-the-fanatec-csl-dd/
    Noting the comment about the CSL DD giving a similar experience to a DD1 at lower torque levels, this certainly sounds good.

I found for me going from a G29 to a DD1 earlier this year, the most important difference is not the torque, it is the acceleration and responsiveness. Makes feeling and catching slides feel more natural.
    dj2ca likes this.
  5. dj2ca

dj2ca Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Well folks I bought a WRX (well, I'm picking it up on Wednesday) and ended up spending a bit more than I originally planned to, looks like I'll be going with the Thrustmaster setup in the end. I would prefer Fanatec but I think the real life Subie will make up for the less exciting sim setup.
    Peersy and UrsineSaturn9 like this.