SimRaceway - Comparison to GT5 & iRacing?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by natmanscoop, Aug 13, 2012.

1. natmanscoop

natmanscoop Professional Gold Member

I've downloaded SimRaceway & had a bit of a Fiddle. Feels ok, not sure if it drives better than GT5 though.

Has anyone compared it to iRacing ?

I'm wondering if the hefty financial outlay with iRacing is worth it, over & above GT5 or SimRaceway.
  2. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Hey natman, i haven't tried simraceway. You can try iracing out for $5-$15, but it is expensive if you want all the tracks and stuff. I have probably dropped $3-400 on content so far, but there isn't much else for me to buy related to road racing.

Ill give sim raceway a go an see how it compares when i get a chance.
  3. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Hey Natman.
    I just downloaded and tried Sin raceway. To be honest, It's not even comparable to iracing or gt5.
    It's maybe comparable to "live for speed".
    For "plug n play" racing, Vote gt5
    For "Driving simulator" vote iracing.
  4. TheStig13

TheStig13 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    I've played Simraceway quite a fair bit over the past few months and would back up Beau's points that it is more realistic than GT5, but (I'm assuming here, as I haven't tried it) not as realistic as iRacing. The sim itself uses the same gMotor2 engine as rFactor and Race 07, with some slight modifications.

Provided you stick to the lower end of the pricing scale, it's quite a cheap way to get into PC sim-racing, and you can earn credits by completing laps in events and quick races - quick tip, get the Kart as soon as possible, it's a great way to earn credits quickly. Another thing - the Evo X that you start out with, well... it isn't exactly great, so don't judge the sim based on that one car. Finally, each Tuesday starting at 5PM they host a test drive event with a certain car for 24 hours, and the car will be half price for 24 hours (last week was the Maserati MC12, this week I think it'll be the Bentley Continental SS).
  5. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Stig, Beau actually said that it ISN'T as realistic as GT5 OR iracing.
  6. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I didn't really comment on Sim Raceways realism at all. I was just saying, It's not really comparable to gt5 or iRacing, just the same as, iRacing shouldn't really be compared to gt5.
    Physics and FFB wise, SimraceWay felt pretty good. It just looked and felt dated.
  7. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Fair enough Beau. I worded that a bit wrong.
  8. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Just gave SimRaceway a go. I found it pretty fun, although it took a while to get setup, pretty much all the default settings are terrible. I was impressed when doing a practice session, the evo felt nice enough. I ended up doing a couple of races in the bentley at mid ohio, the races were fun, but no one took it seriously. So its a bit like GT5 public rooms in that regard. The graphics were ok, but the car models are terrible, they look like paper cutouts flying around the track. The force feedback seemed slightly delayed and i didn't quite feel as connected with the road as in iracing.

The thing I like the most about iracing is that because there are only races every 2 hours (if you screw it up its a long wait), and there are reasonable ingame penalties for being a dickhead. People will race more like they are really racing. This means more respect for those you are racing against. The problem with all of these other sims is that because you can just join another race and not suffer any penalties. Unless of course you set up your own league like we have here, then you can police the bad behaviour and people get good racing.

The physics in iRacing are the best I have experienced, iRacing does have its issue (no dynamic weather/time of day, limited customisation, cost) but when it comes down to it nothing else is as good for giving you fair close racing.

I'd suggest you just get a month of iRacing for $5 or 3 months for $12. Try out the mazda mx5, Cadillac and legend on a few tracks and then make up your own mind. Keep in mind that the rookies are insane, so don't think people will always be that crazy on track.
  9. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    Beau what did you think of SIM RACEWAY as i have just down loaded it and can you give me any tipps
  10. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Hey Colin,
    To be honest, I wouldn't really be the person to give an "in depth" opinion of Sim raceway. I haven't given it much time.
    To me, it just seems like a poor quality, rFactor1 mod. My tip for this sim would be, delete it from your system, download rFactor 1, and install a couple of the great mods available. :) Or download the trial version of "Game stock car" and see what you think of that.

Good to see your into iRacing now.
  11. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    I've played it for a year and a bit, and from what I've noticed lately it's really easy to earn credits through events and quick races on short oval tracks, such as Phoenix and Chicagoland. The quick races change daily, so if you find a good credits earning race, make sure to run quite a few races in that. Events last for either 2 weeks or a month.

There's also a test drive day on Tuesdays (which starts at 7pm eastern daylight savings time) where a certain car is free to drive for a day, and available for purchase at a lower price.

A final piece of advice - don't judge the game based off the free Evo X, it's one of the least enjoyable cars to drive in game. Do a few races on an oval in the Evo, and then buy a cheap car like the GT86 with credits.
  12. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
  13. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    sim raceway is very demanding of graphics it makes my system very glichy unlike IRACING in noticed
  14. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    It's an issue with certain tracks that have animated trees - you'll get a low frame rate and it'll stutter badly if some settings are too high. Try turning the track detail down a bit (I use medium on most tracks), and put shadows on low or medium (or even off if necessary), that way only the cars will cast shadows, not all of the trackside objects.

There is a way of removing the trees, that can be found in the Simraceway forum - http://community.simraceway.com/sim...enchmark_on_low_performance_pc#reply_10995790
  15. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    Recently the free cars given out to new members have changed - it used to just be the Evo X, but now new members get an F3 car and a BMW 1M Coupe for free, as well as the Evo. There's now also some dirt racing as well at a fantasy track based in Egypt, which is great fun in either the Evo or an offroad buggy :D
  16. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    Simraceway have opened a new forum up, and I've noticed that there's a racing teams section. Would it be worth starting up a RaceOnOZ team thread there?
  17. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    If anyone here is interested, I'm currently in the process of setting up a racing series for Australians & New Zealanders over at Simraceway. It'll most likely be with one of the cheaper (or even the free) vehicles in the sim, so you won't have to spend much to join the series.