Cockpit Show us your Simulator Cockpit setup

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sir McSquid

Sir McSquid New Recruit

Thanks UrsineSaturn9, the cloth belt idea sounds handy. So far I’ve just had a couple of pot plants stationed in front of the wheel stand to help anchor under heavy braking.

the calendar is a special GRT Season 4 members calendar
    UrsineSaturn9 likes this.
  2. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Ditched the couch and "upgraded" to a dining chair! :laugh: New monitor though, which is sweet. Still saving for a rig, F-GT Elite is top of the list at the moment
    [​IMG]
    gtkingx, c4rLo5, dj2ca and 5 others like this.
  3. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Pulled the trigger on TR160 cockpit (with TR One wheel deck and pre-drilled pedal plate) +VNM shifter + VNM handbrake V1 + Sparco QRT Grid Q seat! Bank balance is broken, but going to be so much better and should get years of use. Can't wait!
    Noxrai, gtkingx, c4rLo5 and 3 others like this.
  4. T-GT_Racing

T-GT_Racing Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    T-GT_Racing
    Awesome! Even my RS6 has made a world of difference to the experience.
  5. dj2ca

dj2ca Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    I'm looking into moving to the TR160 from my F-GT. My best mate has one and they're a bloody great cockpit. There's nothing really wrong with the F-GT but I am struggling to get my handbrake into the perfect position. It sits too far forward, I 3d printed an adaptor to bring it a bit closer to me but it's still maybe an inch too far.
  6. T-GT_Racing

T-GT_Racing Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    T-GT_Racing
    Good time to buy as they have 15% off for this month.
  7. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Importantly, did you replace your dodgy wheel?
  8. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Ha! I actually was leaning more towards the F-GTElite over the TR160, but that would have been more than $400 more given the TR160 is on sale. They both look awesome though, I'm sure there must be a way to MacGyver your handbrake into the correct position
  9. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Let me just check my bank balance... No, and probably not for at least another 12 months. Really it's a non-issue on PC as I just don't map that faulty hat switch to anything, it is just GT7 that doesn't give me the option and so makes the cursor drift all over the screen from time-to-time. I can live with that a while longer
  10. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    You can see in this image here that the shifter mount connects to the horizontal outer rail. I have it pulled back as far as I can and then there's the additional bracket that I printed bringing it back even closer to me (while still retaining two bolts into the mount itself for strength). I am toying with the idea of printing another angled bracket that would connect to the rear most outer rail (the one that slopes downward towards the rear) but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough.

[​IMG]
    Matthyus, KoAStR and UrsineSaturn9 like this.
  11. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Ah yeah, see what you mean. When you said F-GT I thought you meant F-GTElite, which is a very different cockpit obviously. Formula style seating doesn't really lend itself well to rallying I suppose. Might be some kind of custom thick steel plate you can attach somehow to the shifter mount to extend it back some more? Or you could just lash out and get a TR160 like I did! :laugh:
  12. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Haha nah this is just the regular F-GT. It's a great cockpit and the one thing holding me back from the TR160 is the fact that it can't do a formula position as well as the F-GT. I'm so used to the formula position that it just feels natural these days, whether I'm in an F1 car or a rally/drift/monster truck lol.
  13. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    F-GTElite on the other hand... Though that is another $400 more.... Unless Pagnian have a sale soon....
    Is this an option for your shifter mount?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/eter5c/next_level_racing_fgt_mod_for_f1_layout_fanatec/
    dj2ca likes this.
  14. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
  15. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    You could probably attach a piece of aluminium profile to the shifter plate and then attach the shifter to that?
    TR160 now has the option of a hybrid formula / GT pedal tray too... :sneaky:
    https://trakracer.com.au/collection...racket-system-with-pedal-plate-and-foot-plate
  16. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Yeah I noticed the pedal options when I was looking the other day, it's extremely tempting but I think if I spend any more money on this hobby right now I'll probably be dismembered in my sleep. I'll keep working on adapting the current rig a bit more, the profile just might work.
    UrsineSaturn9 and Easyprey007 like this.
  17. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Oooh, that's a bit harsh! But yeah, completely understand, I've been working on this "Approval" for many, many months. Good luck with the mods
    dj2ca likes this.
  18. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Thanks man, I'm sure I'll get there. For the time being it's definitely usable, it's only a few inches too far, just means I need to reach further.

I realised the other day that my setup has changed. The pedals sit under the desk now and I bought a better monitor arm that allows it to swing over in front of the wheel. Bonus water shoes sitting on the seat in this photo too. Caught those pretty cheap on Amazon and they work really well for racing. Sorry about the mess.

[​IMG]
    Mirkz2010 and UrsineSaturn9 like this.
  19. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Yeah, can see from that angle more clearly that shifter is too far forward, ideally should be level with wheel. I reckon some profile, t-nuts and bolts should just about sort it.
    dj2ca likes this.
  20. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Well, 14 hours later and it's done! :D
    That time included making all the adjustments to seat, wheel deck and pedal deck positions, installing the VNM handbrake and shifter and tidying up some of the cables. Very happy with the final product! Solid as anything, no flex in the wheel or pedals at all, which should help with braking consistency. Grid Q chair is super comfy. Have not had a whole lot of time to test it yet, but just had a small crack at DR2 after updating firmware for handbrake and shifter and recalibrating to make sure they were all working fine. Will take a bit of adjustment switching from paddle shifter and using the clutch pedal as a handbrake to actually using the real deal. Shifter and handbrake feel very nice. I did get a comment from the wife that the shifter is a bit loud. Compared to my T-GT paddle shifters, yes, but not super load and has a great feel. Anyway, Christmas has come early for me!
    PC / VR setup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PS4 setup for Sunday GT7 league (very easy to move around on castors):
    [​IMG]
    Mirkz2010, Ozglenn, WAC and 6 others like this.