ACC Spa 2.4hr (144 minutes) Monday Season 2 rnd 12

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Jun 2, 2020.

1. marty

marty AC Server Legend

How heavy was the rain and how long did it last?
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  2. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

It was not bad at all, light-middle rain and track was just wet not totally drenched. If it wasn't for my struggles, which were set-up related (my own poor strategy in making a set-up that would only work in dry) not due to extreme conditions, I would have called that the perfect mix of changing conditions - really nice to have that thrown in to add another layer of depth/strategy to the racing. I remember last season we had a similar change of conditions in the SPA race and I had a much better set-up in the Ferrari - loved it.
    Jeremy Talbot and tezpez85 like this.
  3. kuda

kuda Rookie

Was a fun race, didn't think I'd get to the end as I was pretty tired last night going into the race. Luckily it didn't feel as tiring or as long as I thought it would be. Had a lot of fun switching positions with @krunch, had less pace but the changing conditions and length of race worked towards putting us in little battles over the course of it.

Without major incidents until last 15mins or so when the track started to dry. Survived the wet period on slicks, coming in 16th place with @Flamebadger coming in fast 4s behind tried to take it a bit faster through Raidillon than previous laps and ended up bouncing from left to right wall causing big damage. Crawled to the pits with 1.5m worth of repairs exiting in 18th which was a bit surprise and a position I probably should be in considering my pace. Overall great race.

Still learning things about pitting in ACC too, i.e. fuel is additive not final load, also that pit ui does show weather - I was entering pit as it was starting to drizzle, could've been perfect time to switch to wets if I knew were to look for weather info.

It doesn't look like points are adding up anymore on the ladder? By adding my points I should be on 41, ladder shows 21. Also silver and am medals are not showing up for Hungaroring R2.
    SteveDrivingSlowly and krunch like this.
  4. SteveDrivingSlowly

Good spot mate - I will take a look at that later!
    kuda likes this.
  5. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Decent race that. @Kcender and @Andy chipped away a few tenths a lap in the early part of the race until Kcender had his incident. De Jesus was hounding me in the sister Lambo all the way until the second pit stops. I pit early because the tyre pressures were getting hot as heck as the sun came up, so I switched to a low pressure set only for it to start raining a few laps later. Heavy with fuel and low pressure slicks, I skated around for half an hour til it stopped raining, but even then it was pretty slippery til the end.
    krunch and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  6. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

sigh... Not a great race for me. A combination of things including lack of prac due to V8 league race on Sunday, being tired, non-wet capable setup and silly mistakes. On the positive side everyone I raced around was fair and patient. Well done to all who attempted this mammoth race. I don't blame anyone for bailing early as I came close to that myself.

Q: I knew I was off the pace so I just tried to get a decent lap in that was close to my PB. I did that but was last of Silver class in P24.

Race: The start was hairy but I got through unscathed. Lap 1 was good but coming around T1 lap 2 it was concertina city and a clown must have been playing a tune! I could hear the silly circus music in my head after I smacked straight into the back of poor @SteveDrivingSlowly. There was no way to avoid it but I'm sorry anyway Steve. He and others were strewn across the track and I guess they were all hearing sad violins at that point. Somehow I didn't get spun but I drove off with some lovely front aero damage - clearly my Porsche needed to be even slower in a straight line (yeah I know - violins).

After that I think I had a decent stint. I can't remember a lot TBH but there was some cool battling including with @kuda which turned out to be a race long thing :). It looked like the stint timer displays weren't working in my HUD so I got a bit worried I'd stuff it up but eventually my spotter confirmed the stint time was coming up so I took my first stop. That went fine and I thought things were looking good for a decent at that point. How wrong I was.

Later in the 2nd stint I spotted the weather indicator switch to upcoming rain. It was actually perfect timing for me as I was in the window for my stop. I decided to carry on a few more laps to see how I went. I was OK on the slicks for almost 3 laps but late in that 3rd lap my tyres went blue and I lost a bit of time. So I pitted for wets.

The stop was fine and out I went, but immediately wished I was still on those blue slicks. I literally had zero grip. For a few mins I thought maybe the game had put on slicks but no - they were wets. But they might as well have been made of ice. I've never had so little grip from actual wet tyres in a game ever. I couldn't keep the thing on the track and after a couple of spins finally ended up heavily in a wall. I crawled back to the pits in despair to get it fixed but forgot that I'd unticked the fix bodywork and suspension boxes earlier and of course the game is too stupid to put them on when you've got massive damage (grrr Kunos). So as my moron crew changed tyres again they ignored the bits of bodywork and suspension hanging out everywhere. They completely ignored my yelling at them too (which my neighbors may be able to attest to).

Facing the prospect of a perilous 5 min lap just so I could pit again I nearly rage quit. But as I left the box I realised I could escape straight back to the box and load a wet setup. So I did that and after waiting the 30 seconds of locked controls I got back out there. it was pretty lonely for most of the rest of the race with only a brewing headache to keep me company (so why do I sim race again? oh yeah that's right - for fun!). Then the damn rain started to clear and my wets became melts! There was about 10 mins to go and I thought I'm not going to pit again so lets see what happens to this rubber on a warm Belgian afternoon. Science experiment time!

Pretty sure I left most of that rubber on the track in the last three laps. By the final lap the car felt like a shopping trolly in an earthquake. I could see Kuda gaining massively and realised that he was going to catch me. He was on my tail by T13 and I defended weakly into T14. He had the inside at T15 and as I kept wide I expected to see him cruise past but instead there was a bump and I went off track. No blame though as I'm sure his tyres were giving up too. I recovered to the track but unfortunately I think he spun as I he disappeared from my view.

So I finished in P17 and I'll take that as it seems things were worse for many other drivers. Congrats to Andy on the win and to Terry and Dan on the podium.
    kuda, Jeremy Talbot, nanlatt and 4 others like this.
  7. SteveDrivingSlowly

Absolutely no hard feelings from the contact mate - there was no way any of us could have avoided it coming around that blind corner, all fully committed, to find that there was in fact a wall of stopped/spinning cars ahead! Not your fault and you suffered as much by the sounds of it!

Also, I had the same thing as you with my wets. Braking into bus stop I was 'wtf is actually happening - I am not slowing down at all! holy ffffffffff......' - I checked the tyres were wets over and over, but in the end concluded that it must have been low front ride height and aero screwing things up.
    krunch and Egor Tsakhoev like this.
  8. Egor Tsakhoev

Egor Tsakhoev Rookie

Hi to all. It was awful race for me and Denis Strelnikov. But anyway it was great expirence, thanks to all for good race. Well learn and will be better next time)
    Race started well, but Andrew Macfarlane went out from track with spinning after red water and Dennis crashed into him on full speed. It happens, no hard feelings to Andrew at all) From this moment our race was ruined. Anyway we will be ruin it by ourselfs later)))) So, again, no hard feelings) Thanks again. Looking to next race.
    P.S: Lexus on Spa is worst choice ever))) Sorry for my English)
  9. SteveDrivingSlowly

The points should be fixed now (one stray comma in an SQL query stopped it from updating since I introduced the new scheduled tasks to ease server load).

The medals are not working properly for SILVER (possibly AM also) in multi-race rounds - I know what that will be, should be able to fix it later.
    kuda and krunch like this.
  10. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

The fact that I practiced for more laps then the entire race would have gone for and having that happen once early on in practice and making setup changes to account for it, the having it happen anyway 2 laps in (going up Eau Rouge, having the car snap on the curb instantly and spinning me at the end of a blind corner) doesn't just make me angry, more just depressed. I just can't deal with investing time and effort into this car only for it's understeer into snap oversteering issues to make all of that go to waste. I'm sorry for the incident, I honestly have no idea why it happened since I made changes in setup early on with practice specifically to prevent that from happening.

Also just tired of being slow in general, fighting the car to make it work and to only really make spots up because people make mistakes early on rather then from being on pace, then just being overtaken constantly later on just makes me want to stop, there is no real joy in driving this at the moment, only a lot of frustration and depression.
  11. kuda

kuda Rookie

Wasn't going to happen, you were a full lap ahead :laugh: It was only a bit of fun in trying to gain the prestige of being lapped by one less car!
    krunch and nanlatt like this.
  12. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

I haven't driven the car so I don't know it but is it just a characteristic of it? Just wondering as if it's not then maybe your wheel settings may need to be adjusted? I've got a t300 and I set the rotation to 1080 both in game and in the thrustmaster control panel and it feels pretty good.
  13. Egor Tsakhoev

Egor Tsakhoev Rookie

Eau Rouge - this is corner name) I wrote as it sound in Russian "Krasnaya voda" means Red water in English)) And it seems to mean same in French)))
    We not blaming you at all. If it never happens between you and Denis it will be happen later between Denis or me with a concrete walls)))
  14. AeroDynamicMilk

AeroDynamicMilk Rookie

kinda sad I missed Spa as I love that track. I had hyper extended my knee an hour before the server went up and that meant no driving for me. Although, I would've crashed out anyway :p
    SteveDrivingSlowly and krunch like this.
  15. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

It slides a lot off throttle and in low speed corners, understeer is the main characteristic until you go near a kerb then it just hits you with snap oversteer, the GTR group had issues with choosing between a lot of snap oversteer or lack of turn-in in general. I honestly still don't understand why it snapped there, especially since the GTR is one of the better cars when it comes to dealing with kerbs in terms of bottoming out, and out of the 50+ laps of practice it only happened once (which I made changes after it happened, then it didn't happen again... until the 2nd lap of the race)
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    SteveDrivingSlowly and kuda like this.
  16. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

Sounds like it was just a seriously unlucky moment

Don't let it get you down, there's only 3 races left, may as well stick it out :D
    TakFR, SteveDrivingSlowly and kuda like this.
  17. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Ah bugger, you kind of need knees. Hope you get well asap.
  18. SteveDrivingSlowly

I discovered the problem with my brakes today - it was not the set up or anything like that - I think my pedals have a fault, as when I went to have a drive today, I only have 100% brakes or 0% - there is no in between. Time to dismantle the rig again!
    krunch likes this.
  19. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Ouch! That's a pretty serious issue. What pedals are you using again - Fanatec wasn't it? Coincidentally I've just re-tweaked my Elite pedals myself as I continue to chase better braking and better ergonmics.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  20. SteveDrivingSlowly

Yes clubsport V3's - I'm hoping it is just cat hair gumming up something in the brake or something (my cat has decided the best place to sleep lately is in my rig). We'll see! Hopefully not a busted loadcell :(