ACC January Special Event - Paul Ricard

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by CornfordCaster, Jan 11, 2022.

1. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

[​IMG]
    RaceOnOz ACC Monday Night League - January Special Event
    Admin team: @krunch, @nanlatt, @CornfordCaster

Pre-Season Testing - Paul Ricard
    [​IMG]
    17th January 2022 at 8:15pm AEDT
    (AEDT - click for time zone info)

>> https://www.thesimgrid.com/championships/802 <<
    GENERAL NOTES
    • Redressing is a thing - It's important to redress when you have caused another car to lose position. More info here
    • Start Formation - The Kunos start system isn't perfect and still allows cars to be a fair way out of place by the time the lights go green so we will continue to review starts as a matter of procedure. We will issue warnings or penalties to drivers that we believe are gaining an unfair advantage or causing a disadvantage to other drivers by being out of position.
      • Please respect other drivers and stay in your grid position
      • Do not stay 'ghosted' within any other car especially in the final phase of the formation lap
      • It is not acceptable to take another car's position before the start
      • If ACC fails to give a penalty for being out of position then the Admin team will issue a post race penalty
      • Driver's need to be side by side with their row partner and must maintain a reasonable gap to the cars ahead prior to the lights going green
      • Drivers should stop all weaving and brake warming as soon as the double file segment begins
      • Penalties WILL NOT BE CLEARED even if it seems to be a glitch - just take more care!
    • Avoiding pre-start and Lap 1 Carnage! - Take extra care as the lights go green as all cars will be in a tight, accelerating pack:
      • Expect cars to be much closer to you and varying in speed due to all the others around so try to leave a tad more space.
      • Assume there are cars in your blind spots and on the other side of visible cars until the pack spreads out more.
      • In braking zones you must brake SIGNIFICANTLY earlier than you would in general racing.
      • Avoid sudden direction changes unless you are sure you are well clear.
      • If on a straight section don't drift - stay straight.
      • Approach each situation with caution but execute your driving with intelligence.
      • If you need to redress in this tight pack situation keep going until you can move out of the traffic safely before slowing down
    • Optional use of indicators - Should drivers wish to use indicators to assist with managing lapped traffic, they are to be used as they are used on the road - i.e. you should indicate which way you are going - if you indicate left, you go left. REMEMBER TO TURN THEM OFF AGAIN.
    • All drivers should read the "Rooz Etiquette guide' and "Rules & Regs" linked below before the start of the event.
    SERVER INFO
    Race 1 Server Name: RaceOnOz.com [ROOZ] | January Special Event | Race 1 | Paul Ricard
    Server Password: 22janspecial

• This server is available for practice in the week prior to Monday's race.
    • The server will reset for official practice at 8:15pm (AEDT) on Monday night.
    • The server has a locked entry list and will only allow those who have signed up for the season to join it.
    • All sessions are open for joining.
    • The server won't show in the multiplayer lobby so you will need to search for "raceonoz" or "rooz".
    Race 2 Server Name: RaceOnOz.com [ROOZ] | January Special Event | Race 2 | Paul Ricard
    Server Password: 22janspecial

• This server is available for practice in the week prior to Monday's race.
    • The server will reset for official practice at 8:15pm (AEDT) on Monday night.
    • The server has a locked entry list and will only allow those who have signed up for the season to join it.
    • All sessions are open for joining.
    • The server won't show in the multiplayer lobby so you will need to search for "raceonoz" or "rooz".

RACE & SESSION INFO
    This event has 1x 20 Minute Sprint and 1x 60 Minute Sprint:
    • RACE 1
      • Practice 1, 30 mins (in game Saturday 3pm) - OPEN for joining
      • Qualifying 1, 10 mins (in game Saturday 4pm) - OPEN for joining
      • Race 1, 20 mins (in game Saturday 5pm) - OPEN for joining
    • Weather: "ambientTemp": 20, "cloudLevel": 0.30, "rain": 0.10, "weatherRandomness": 2
    • No Pitstop Rules
    • Full formation lap with UI gizmo and car ghosting on. Getting too far out of position can result in being auto-sent to the pits for the start.
    • Server time scale multiplier set at 1x for this round.
    • RACE 2
      • Practice 1, 5 mins (in game Sunday 12pm) - OPEN for joining
      • Qualifying 1, 15 mins (in game Sunday 1pm) - OPEN for joining
      • Race 1, 60 mins (in game Sunday 2pm) - OPEN for joining
    • Weather: "ambientTemp": 19, "cloudLevel": 0.30, "rain": 0.10, "weatherRandomness": 2
    • Pitstop Rules:
      • Tyres Mandatory (No tyre set restrictions)
      • Refuelling is Not Mandatory (Fill time not fixed)
      • No Pit Window
      • No Stint Limit
    • Full formation lap with UI gizmo and car ghosting on. Getting too far out of position can result in being auto-sent to the pits for the start.
    • Server time scale multiplier set at 1x for this race.
    (Weather and session settings may be changed at any time at the admins discretion)

CAR CHOICE
    This is a fixed car per driver event. Whichever car you select on SimGrid Event when signing up will be your choice during the event, changes to car choice can only be made before the deadline outlined on the SimGrid Event.

Custom BOP (+30kg) will be added the BMW M4, however please note that at time of joining a server prior to the event date the ballast may not be added on the server config.

MORE INFO

DISCORD & VOICE
    All important information for racing is available on our forums, however we strongly advise drivers to join our Discord server for for voice and text chat. Sometimes critical information such as server issues, race delays, last minute race format changes, instructions to a specific driver, etc. will be relayed only through the Discord voice channel and text chat. There is also a healthy dose of banter that just makes the round more fun :). Once you sign up for any Season at Rooz you'll be given extra Discord permissions for text chat.

Discord voice chat rules and etiquette:
    • if you intend to chat you MUST use push-to-talk. No-one wants to hear your gear clicks, heavy breathing or barking dog in the background.
    • non-excessive chat and banter is OK in Practice sessions.
    • There should be minimal chat in Qualifying sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
    • There should be minimal chat in Race sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
    • If you become frustrated or angry at yourself or another driver please do not push your talk button. Keep it private!
    • Please do not conduct arguments over voice chat. Sort it out later!
    • Abuse will not be tolerated. There's no place for that stuff at Rooz!
    • Please wait until ALL drivers have completed the final lap of a race before discussing your race.
    • Admins may speak at any time in any session for obvious reasons.
    • Feel free to hang around in chat after the race. Many of us like to have a laugh about things that may have happened in the race and it can be a nice wind-down :)

CUSTOM PAINTED SKINS
    The recent v1.8 update has changed the way in which custom liveries are implemented enabling us to re-evaluate their use in our league. This Paul Ricard event will give us an opportunity to test this new implementation and its effects on join lag, server load, etc and also JJ ability to continue streaming our events. In short, ACC now creates .dds files which are preload the into memory thus reducing or eliminating the serious join lag I'm sure we've all experienced in the past.

This short video linked below contains pretty much everything you need to know about sharing custom liveries and it is strongly recommended viewing.

Submitting Custom Liveries
    For now, custom liveries can be uploaded to onedrive via the link below. It may require you to login to you microsoft account.

Please do not submit anything offensive, it will be rejected at a minimum.

The more people we can get to test this the better. A successful test does not guarantee that we will adopt custom liveries immediately, it does however help the Admin team make an informed decision.

Thanks for racing at RaceOnOz
    :)
    krunch likes this.
  2. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Personally I'd love to see people creating and submitting their own custom liveries and not just ones can be found from online. :p
    krunch likes this.
  3. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Anyone who want's to race in this event on Monday Night and hasn't yet registered for it on SimGrid had better go do it soon as there's less than a day left!
  4. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

As a reminder, we are using this event to test the potential use of custom liveries. If you are planning to upload a custom livery for tonight you must do it before 6pm. I will be locking the folder for upload after this but downloads will still be available. I suggest everyone download the latest skin pack after about 6.30 to ensure all liveries are loaded.
    krunch likes this.
  5. krunch

Thanks to all who raced last night! I enjoyed getting back into the sim after a few weeks off. Both my races were cruelled at the start
    For the first one I lost my mouse cursor after jumping to desktop and I couldn't click the Drive button. Starting half a lap behind the field in a 20min sprint is not ideal but at least I got some more laps in the Aston under my belt.

In the second race I was caught up in the start crash which seemed to take out about a half the field I think! After my car was destroyed I had to jump back to pits to wait it out while Aston Martin shipped out a new car from the UK, bribed it through French customs, got it skinned, re-homologated, waited for some idiot celebrity to get a selfie with it... etc. until finally I could take to the track and have some fun. Thanks to Wallzy who let me battle with him for a bunch of laps even though he was a lap ahead of me - and that's after being involved in the start crash himself AND having taken a drive through to boot! Was a fun battle mate and well done on recovering to 9th.

Regarding that start crash - we are taking a close look at it as we want to make sure we avoid that sort of thing as much as possible. Also, I know many drivers may have preferred a race restart but being a Monday Night race I made the decision not to restart the race. Monday Night races are the main races in the PC ACC league and even with a non-championship warm up race I feel we need to keep to the standard there. Certainly with clear server issues we will allow for restarts on Monday nights. Wednesday night is the casual race night and so there is scope for restarts for those races.
    Rolz, Wally, nanlatt and 2 others like this.
  6. blanchyZ1000SX

blanchyZ1000SX Rookie

PSN ID
    BlanchyZ1000SX
    @krunch is it possible in ACC to turn damage on for the formation lap? I think some of the problem is a mindset from doing the formation lap, running through cars when they are ghosted with no consequences then from the moment the lights go green everyone 'has' to switch on. Much like for tyres and brakes maybe the formation lap should be used to warm up the brain as well? I know it won't fix all the problems but it may be one step to improving.
    iRacing damage is turned on from the moment you have control of the car, and it took some getting used to, but in the end I think it helps the mentality of having the brain in gear for when the race starts and you are switched on to valuing damage more. IRL you dont get a free run for the warm up lap.
    Consequently infingements or collisions during the warm up lap, need to be harsh. and drivers must obey race control when to form up correctly
    I know we are in it for fun, but its no fun spending half a week practicing, getting abuse from the wife and dogs for no attention and then get taken out at turn 1 because someone 2 seconds behind you in qly thinks they are going to make up 10 positions after turn 1 because the car in front of you has baulked and hold onto that spot magically for the rest of the race or hotlappers that forget that in racing in a pack your braking markers and lap times just went out the window.
    Rather than lap times, it is a more important craft to practice at every track a metre or so off the back bumper of the car in front and learn how to brake, turn, accelarate, maintain consistent lines and race in close proximity to other cars lap after lap.
    Just a thought.
    Cooper, krunch, Cokko Bill and 2 others like this.
  7. Cokko Bill

Cokko Bill Rookie

Hello blanchy!!! You got a decent point,but trust me,i have been racing online for the past 16 years and there is no medicine for it.The only medicine is common sense,and positive skills.Accidents happens in real life,in virtual,and in our dreams.but as i said.....to minimize them you need experience and understanding of your limits.Also a deep knowledge of tridimensional awareness is requested.
    See you on the track mate
    krunch likes this.
  8. Mael

Mael Professional

More a question of why design a track with walls in close proximity at both sides of the start line!

Luckily had a blast racing @Wally with a tiny mistake allowing him the victory, albeit 2 laps down :D
    Wally and krunch like this.
  9. krunch

Good points but not sure if I agree. The chance of a collision in the formation lap seems even higher than at the green light to me. It goes on for way longer plus there's more speed differences, line changes and acceleration differences in a formation lap than when the light goes green on the straight.

I think we need everyone to focus on minimising risk for the whole field at the start of the race. Making that a priority over gaining risky positions in at least the first couple of corners after the start. It's a respect for fellow sim racers thing over "I should take that big risk cos I'm a race driver and it's my job to gain positions" - well actually it isn't. We are playing a game for fun and it's easy to ruin the fun for many others in the blink of an eye.

In reality there are going to be mistakes made and crashes will happen - that's normal. The aim is to reduce them at the start due to the potential for big consequences to many drivers. Taking less risks at the start is one of the variables under our control, as opposed to network warp or game glitches so its an area we can all focus on.
    nanlatt and Cokko Bill like this.