GT7 Season 2 Division 1

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
    Would Be Gr8 to have it Streamed with commentary
  2. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    correct
    it would, but the streamer we were using last season decided not to continue with GT7
  3. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Viper is having pc issues so I will post a briefing for Division 1

We will run Bathurst for 11 laps and St Croix for 11 laps.
    Both races will be preceded by a 5 min qualifying session
    There is no compulsory pitstop for either race
    Both races are worth full points

Please like this post to indicate if you can attend, and reply if you cannot.

I know @Viperzed cannot make it
  4. Rangeraus

Rangeraus Team Driver Gold Member

The Payload informed me that he is racing
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  5. LE_bananajosh

LE_bananajosh Team Driver

PSN ID
    GT_bananajosh1
    Rangeraus likes this.
  6. Steve Neilson

Steve Neilson Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Steve_73_GOOF
  7. Steve Neilson

Steve Neilson Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Steve_73_GOOF
    2.06.907 FL Keeden.
    Johnno DSC
    Matthyus likes this.
  8. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Sorry I couldn't race due to my back injury. We need to come up with a solution to the drop in division 1 grid sizes throughout a season. I'm thinking the easiest would just be mandatory mid-season promotion for whoever is up front in the div2 championship
    Easyprey007 likes this.
  9. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Would said person / people still be in the running for the S2 championship?
    Given the drop off in numbers meaning we needed about 8 to 10 racers per round are you thinking of filling the grid or just buffing up the numbers?
    More people would be nice, from a pace perspective more racers at the pointy end that can take it to the likes of keeden / ranger and co would mean that the current racers who are backfilling D1 are in their own division (the actual D2). This filling and or refiltering will flow into the lower rooms.
    That said, that still means that people still need to show up..
    Why is it that people don't show up. Are you disinterested as you can't be competitive or just disinterested all together.?
    We understand that life happens but if you decide to sign up, I would believe that you've looked at the racing calendar and gone yup, I'm good to race every week. That means that you do show up and race. At sign up you say missing round/s X if at all and done. Ghosting a season post sign up isn't good for anyone and we end up with conversations like this.

Sorry for the ramble. But valid points across the board.
    1. More racers to fill the divisions out.
    2. Signing up means you show up.
  10. Stew Wilson

Stew Wilson Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Stew_Wilson72
    I disagree with a mid season promotion for the leaders of Div2, just because the Div1ers cant commit to a season ! As Johnno said, it would be very helpful if the guys from Div1, that failed to show, could let us know why ? and we solve the issue from there.
    Would smaller divisions where there is less of a spread of pace, be more enticing. I know we like full grids, but closer racing is more important in my opinion.
    I know that if I have to race in div1 next season at 2 seconds a lap off the pace, I wont be looking forward to getting beat up each week.
    gtkingx likes this.
  11. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    If we run meet n greet on 9/10, we have 10 weeks until xmas holidays
    I'd be interested to try a 5 round season, running every 2 weeks.
    First week would be all divisions except div1. Any free spots in div2 would be given to bottom of the table div 1 drivers.
    Second week, Division 1 runs and any free spots are given to front of div 2 drivers. The rest of the other divs can have practice races for the following week.

Thoughts?
  12. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    What's the goal here, full grids, close racing or a consistent competition? (I know, ideally all three). Whatever solution we arrive at, it shouldn't punish those that turn up each week and manage a full(ish) grid.

I'm not sold on the idea of promoting the top of one div to fill the next above. Do you carry that on down the line to the point where the bottom div ends up with significantly fewer drivers e.g. 5 turn up for Div 1, we shuffle everyone up and end up with 5 in say Div 4 that would normally have 14 to 16? Hardly fair on them when you then adjust points accordingly.

FYI, I don't have a solution either at the moment.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    gtkingx, Dash_Vanguard and Mirkz2010 like this.
  13. Walker_17

Walker_17 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Walker_17__
    I know what you mean but if you finish a
    Div in top 3 or 4 don't you just get promoted? I was very competitive in Div 3 last season but in Div2 I'm way way off the pace. It's not fun knowing you can't get close to the top 5 in a division but I just figured that life.
  14. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    My aim / goal is close racing. Always has been.
    I'd rather have a battle with a group of closely paired competitive racers vs a lobby filled with a pace difference
    >1s.
    D1 (aliens, Keeden, ranger, noodles, Sid, etc)
    D2 (hat, groover, monster, stew, etc)
    D3 (me, whizz, Saturn, aiko, etc)
    D4 (Glenn, leeboy, blunty, web, etc)
    D5 (easy, GQ, tony, etc)
    An example of the breakdown. It promotes closer racing and in turn I hope more people in the run for top spot or podium finishes, which in turn creates that atmosphere or drive to show up and race.
    gtkingx and Stew Wilson like this.
  15. Mirkz2010

Mirkz2010 Rookie

I agree that just because D1 doesn't show up to race consistently that the other divs shouldn't be penalized by losing members as they're pushed upwards.
    If you had to go this route perhaps offering the promotion to the members in the lower divs and if accept they can move up but they shouldn't just be forced to move.
    Sometimes its the room members that make it the most fun too so forcing someone up a div might make them less interested to show up if they don't gel immediately with the others and were enjoying the company of those they were racing with previously.
    What's the D1 room like usually? I assume it'd be generally a lot more competitive and potentially less easy going than lower divs? Could this be something that may cause some of the others to drop out.

Also agree closer racing would be nice, it's never enjoyable spending many laps just trying mitigate damages from the pack in front, rather than any gains.
    Only problem with thinning the heard to run smaller tighter grids is that 1-2 people away for a race could significantly reduce the numbers (eg. if there's only 6-8 to begin with) which I know has happened here and there in the lower divs over the past 2 seasons.

Edit: Just a viewpoint from a new pleb :)
    Dash_Vanguard likes this.
  16. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    I think I prefer that approach rather than a full grid. Despite D2 this season being nearly always a full grid, it didn't take too long for the pack to split into two, sometime three separate races with the race. So does @Matthyus's example mean that a smaller D1 isn't such a bad thing?
    Stew Wilson likes this.
  17. Rangeraus

Rangeraus Team Driver Gold Member

My suggestion (apart from signing up as a reserve if you're unsure) would be to have the following allotments at the start of the season:
    • Division 1A = 9 or 10 slots
    • Division 1B = 9 or 10 slots
    • Division 2 = 10-16 slots
    • Division 3 = 10-16 slots
    If we get a combined Division 1A+1B grid of 16 (of 18-20) registered drivers or less, we can merge as needed. If more, those divisions can have standalone races with a reasonable grid size. Hopefully having a Division 1B title on offer will give more incentive for people to keep showing up.

I've said it before, but for me it's pretty exhausting to turn up and cut laps on a Sunday night, and then having to worry about whether the race is going to be cancelled (as has been the case 3 times in the past 2 seasons) or not... and then making merge, postponement or cancellation arrangements on top of that.

You can understand why this would kill the motivation of people to enter, especially for NZ entrants when the race start is supposed to be at 11:30PM NZDT on a Sunday night and we're still figuring out at 11PM whether we are actually going to race or not... It's a situation that I'd like to avoid again because it's pretty unfair.
  18. MONSTAR

MONSTAR Team Driver

Personally I liked racing with the aliens this season even though I knew I wouldn’t stand a chance against them. Finishing 7th, 8th I felt was a good result.
    Not that it’s anyones business for the reason I couldn’t make the last 3 rounds but my son had to have a operation and there was some complications and secondly I’ve had to work 10-12 hr days 6 days a week. So honestly I couldn’t be :):):):)ed putting in laps during the week.
    I think there’s a big skill gap between the aliens and the next tier guys. There just isn’t enough aliens signed up to really make a full grid in D1 so then it’s filled up with next tier which is fine but I can understand why those guys don’t show up knowing they are gona finish at the mid pack at best.
    I like the idea of a 1A and 1B, that could work.
    Another thing I can appreciate those people who can and do show up week in week out season after season. those are the guys who make this forum and race league what it is
    I don’t believe raceonoz needs a full grid of aliens to be successful but it sure would help but unfortunately D1 dies in the arse sometimes due to not enough aliens. It’s impossible for Raceonoz to entice the likes of AmazingHour and co when your up against world your events.
    I’m not sure what the magic bullet is but maybe as someone else said have the D1 events every 2nd or 3rd week but then they might not even show up at all, who knows
  19. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    I am a fan of this idea
    Matthyus likes this.
  20. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    The game isn't ready. I had unexpected and unplanned things come up through the season which sucked as i very much enjoyed driving this car, but the game isn't currently in a state that promotes online racing. The constant jittery lag, especially in a div where you need to pounce at any opportunity given because in all likelihood the guy in front won't make a mistake for the whole race, doesn't instill confidence at all.

The drop off has always been in div 1 when the guys up the front are suddenly a second a lap quicker and the feeling of maybe snagging a win disappears, but it's really only this bad on GT7 due to the unappealing online setup as of now.