DiRT DIRT Rally - Codemasters' new rally sim

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by TheStig13, Apr 30, 2015.

1. TheStig13

TheStig13 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    [​IMG]
    With the Colin McRae series of old becoming more and more arcade focused and straying away from rally after the transition to the DiRT title, it seemed unlikely that Codemasters would ever return to making a game that focused mainly on point-to-point rallying. However, after most of their recent titles turned out to be complete flops (DiRT Showdown, GRID 2, F1 2014 and the Colin McRae Rally release on steam that was just a shoddy port of a mobile game) it seems as if Codemasters have finally listened to the core of their rallying fanbase and have produced their most realistic game yet.

At the moment it's only an early access game on Steam, with only a PC version planned. The content currently consists of 3 locations (Greece, Wales and Monte Carlo) plus 17 cars from the 1960's to now (all of which were in Dirt 3). Each location has 12 stages (admittedly some sections are repeated over a few stages), all of which are rather challenging... and most very narrow. There's no Ken Block here, neither is there Gymkhana or giant inflatable cans of Monster positioned at every corner. Hillclimb and Rallycross will be introduced later on in the early access program in free updates, with Pikes Peak and a few Hillclimb specials coming in the next month.

If you try and play this the way you would Dirt 3, you'd be in for a shock. As well as the physics becoming much more realistic - to the point where this game can be considered a proper simulator - there's a lot less driving aids (only the type of aids that could be found on a real rally car, like ABS), plus there's no more flashbacks. In offline career mode, there's incentives not to restart a stage... but in the online events, each stage is a one shot deal, with no restarts (I found this out the hard way, when I lost the lights on a night stage). It's not quite up to the standard of Richard Burns Rally (yet), but it's easily the best rally sim since RBR was released.

Cyber_STIG_77, KoAStR and JonoStan96 like this.
  2. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Codemasters actually listening to their fans? No way!
    This game looks awesome.
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Might have to check it out. What's the fee for steam early access?
  4. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    Regular price is $34.99, however it's $31.49 at the moment on a 10% discount until the 4th of May. I'd imagine the price will go up a bit on full release, like Assetto Corsa when it went to version 1.0.
  5. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    This was a pretty good review vid.
  6. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    jumped on this today with my net speed suffering at the moment till the lines are fixed its about a gig an hour so 7 hours to go lol not expecting RBR out of the gate but if they stick to what they are saying and take in all the feedback this could be remarkable physics wise.As for fun i'm sure it is as it stands i have enjoyed all the others in 1 way or another :)
    first thing i hope they address is the 270deg lock and go 540deg for modern and 700deg for 70's 80's some even 900 :thumbsup:
  7. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    Finally jumped on and i can say it feels pretty bloody good :thumbsup: haven't jumped on with a wheel yet i'm still rebuilding the rig.But even with a pad it just clicks visual cues and how the car responds to inputs is bang on from what i remember from my day racing dirt tracks with a local club only thing that needs a polish is the braking its a bit too strong locking up on dirt is really easy to do so there should be just a bit more resistance to stop,bit more of a slide if that makes sense.

Other one the handbrake seems to be just on off not much change when applied other then that tell you what later through the year if they keep going this way it'll be a pretty descent game :thumbsup: I'll say for all Pc user's this is one game to jump on before the price climb's :D
  8. TheStig13

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    Seeing as a few of us now have this, I might create a ROOZ league so we can host our own rallies.
    Tovey_4saken and KoAStR like this.
  9. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    There is an xml file on race department for an ffb fix I haven't tried wheel yet but @Driftoz tried the fix and said it was much much better :) I can link it tomorrow when I am infront of the Pc :)
    KoAStR likes this.
  10. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Awesome will be just in time for me to give it a crack then! DL'd this yesterday but haven't fired it up yet. :barefoot::x3:
    Tovey_4saken likes this.
  11. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    There is a fair bit of code and i don't want to take up a page here lol so here is the link http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ffb-tweak-no-void.104688/ ffb xml on page 1 and someone has made some cam fixes among couple of other things on page 5 :thumbsup:

Now this being a code mod be very very careful and make sure nothing in the code get's changed when you paste it few wrong number's in the wrong place and your wheel could go very well go bang!! :eek: and also backup the original so if for any reason you are not a fan you can simply go back :thumbsup:
  12. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Well spent an hour or two last night and tonight getting into this and first impressions are good.
    FFB by default is pretty wallaby ted - massive dead zone feeling in the middle. But the FFB fix above (thanks Drift for sending the file) helps alot.

Couple of nuiances I've found:
    • If you alt-tab out and back in, it switches to windowed mode, easily rectified even mid race by going back into graphics properties and selecting full screen again - having full options menu access from the cockpit is a nice touch.
    • When I launch the game I have to press a wheel button at the title screen to continue or I lose my control config with the scheme defaulting back to keyboard input.
    • I've numbered all the buttons on my G25 otherwise I don't know what the hell to press when confronted with in game menus!

Took a while of tinkering to get something that felt comfortable and familiar on the wheel so I thought I'd share it for others to use and discuss if they've found something better. The recommended settings from google / codies forums felt garbage. I've only tested it in the mini and I'm using G25 with H-pat and clutch. This may change as the FFB obviously needs work and it is early access after all.

Profiler:
    • Overall effects 130% --- have tried 100-150%, 100% was too light with the other settings I settled on.
    • Spring effects 0%-- increasing this seems to just mute the FFB and increase wheel weight
    • Damper effects 50% -- ditto except increases wheel weight when trying to throw the wheel quickly. Lower and the wheel gets too light though.
    • Degrees of Rotation: 550% --- This is all about compromise. A touch more sensitive around centre than I would prefer but a comfortable setting to be able to throw full lock into hair pins.

In game:
    • Vibration strength 0% -- you still get a small vibration but I found higher and it dominates the FFB feel.
    • Wheel Strength 100% -- trying to maximise the FFB response and feel.
    • Wheel Weight 0% -- this seems to just mask the FFB response (similar to increasing spring and damper). Increased effects strength in the profiler compensates for the lighter feel.
    • Steering saturation 90% -- helps take a bit of the sensitivity around centre out.
    I've also turned the FOV slider all the way to the left.. and even starting to use dash cam. The cockpit view is very nice, rich textures etc, but a little distracting especially as wheel movements are not 1: 1 my own. Even with tight FOV still feel like I'm sitting half way to the back seat, which makes it hard to look ahead and keep focus on anticipating the next corner....

But with all that sorted this is fantastic fun especially no HUD and just focusing on the co driver notes.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Tovey_4saken likes this.
  13. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    Small patch released today nothing major changed yet just a patch to fix issues with some peoples game crashing but left a note to say they are hard at work on an ffb fix among many other things and to stay tuned :thumbsup:

And a wrc driver has been dominating the online leaderboards haha he just randomly picked up the game and started thrashing pb's and it caught codemasters attention because people were complaining that he must be cheating or hacking the game :roflmao: so hopefully codemasters can team up with him and get some more insight into what needs to be changed or refined :thumbsup:

KoAStR and JonoStan96 like this.
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Wow night stage looks cool gotta get into that, and daily events... will probably just plug away at career mode for now.
    Tovey_4saken likes this.
  15. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    It's probably better to finish career mode first with every or at least your favourite cars anyway so it unlocks the advanced setup menu for them and then you can really tune the car for the way you want :thumbsup: (hope they patch that sometime and just give advanced setup for all cars from the get go without having to grind career) :)
  16. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    One word. JOY :inlove:. And all I've driven is the mini... here's some of the action.
    Anon666 and Tovey_4saken like this.
  17. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Might upload another vid soon. Just noticed even the feet/pedal inputs are animated in replays! :eek::thumbsup:
    Tovey_4saken and Anon666 like this.
  18. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    I picked this up over the weekend and plugged my DFGT into my pc for the first time.
    Had a heap of fun, but gosh this game kicked my ass; not used to having to listen so closely to the co-driver calls, and the slightest mistake will make you pay.
    I struggled to get any clean stages done, and even on Open difficulty (which I think is the lowest?) I could barely get top 3 placings.

One question about this game and wheel setup, I couldn't find any combination of in-game wheel settings that felt any good. The steering was so touchy I felt like that's why I crashed so often. As I said i'm using DFGT which has 900 degree rotation? But it felt like all my steering inputs were in at most a 90 degree range.
    Is this right or is there some settings I don't know about? Or is it due to the game still being early access and wheel features not fully implemented yet?
  19. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    @FloodSim yea she's pretty unforgiving but so satisfying when it comes together.
    I have a G25 and fiddled around with settings for ages before getting something that felt comfortable with responsive feedback. I posted my settings a few posts up, they may translate well to the DFGT as well. The FFB mod that Tovey has posted above is also essential IMO. Alternatively here is the file you need, extract and copy that into E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback or similar depending where your steam installation is. Before you copy it in, rename the old one with a suffix e.g. OLD or ORIGINAL just in case you need to roll back to that.
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  20. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    some good fun in the imprezza :thumbsup: took a fair while of tweaking but got it feeling really good on the wheel but each car i have to spend hours re tweaking but this car is freakng spot on in my eyes :thumbsup: set a pretty good lap at koryfi dafni (or something like that lol) for all of you to beat :thumbsup: this track has become my favourite because of all the hairpins :D
    KoAStR likes this.