ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 4 - Round 9 Sprint Zandvoort!

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by SteveDrivingSlowly, Dec 4, 2020.

1. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

[​IMG]
    RaceOnOz Monday Night ACC League Season 4 - GT Challenge
    Admin team: @Flamebadger, @SteveDrivingSlowly, @nanlatt, @Rolz, @krunch

Round 9 - SPRINT - Zandvoort 2019
    [​IMG]
    7th December 2020 at 8:15pm
    (AEDT - click for time zone info)

REMINDER: NO CUSTOM PAINTED SKINS ALLOWED DUE TO JOIN LAG! PENALTIES MAY APPLY
    We recommend completely uninstalling custom painted skins from your ACC folders to avoid the excessive join lag issue.
    DRIVER BRIEFING NOTES - Round 9
    • No new notes this week!
    • Wacky Wednesday League Practice - Every Wednesday night we host a semi-closed practice evening ahead of the upcoming Season 4 championship round. These are very informal and chilled out practice sessions where you can come in and try out set-ups, chat and have some fun racing without worrying about your championship points (this is separate to the 24/7 practice server which is always available). Importantly you can practice close racing moves with far less pressure and less consequence than Monday nights and we particularly encourage those newer to sim racing to join in. There are often excellent tips from some of our top pro drivers too. More info in the Wacky Wednesday League Practice thread.
    DRIVER BRIEFING NOTES - Previous
    • Avoiding High Risk Moves... Take 2 - We just thought we'd repeat what we said last week. Over the past several rounds there have been a few incidents of high risk GT3/GT4 passing attempts that have resulted in cars becoming three-wide approaching critical corners. Unsurprisingly they have not generally ended well. Any three-wide situation means that the inside and outside cars cannot see each other and the central car has very limited options. On a long straight this can work, however approaching corners it is a bad idea. No car can reasonably anticipate the moves of the other cars and more often than not a collision occurs. We ask all drivers to avoid these sorts of high risk moves.
    • Lap 1 accidents - some drivers have expressed frustration at the number of lap 1 accidents that are occurring. Although that frustration is understandable there is evidence that things are improving. It is not realistic to completely eliminate such incidents but everyone seems to have the right attitude so we may not be too far away from cleaner opening laps. Note that being too cautious is almost as bad as not cautious enough and it can be a fine line. Doing more race practice (ie joining us on Wacky Wednesdays) is one of the best ways to improve close racing skills.

So when in a tight pack (such as on the opening lap):
      • Expect cars to be much closer to you and varying in speed due to all the others around so try to leave a tad more space.
      • Assume there are cars in your blind spots and and on the other side of visible cars until the pack spreads out more.
      • In braking zones you must brake SIGNIFICANTLY earlier than you would in general racing.
      • Avoid sudden direction changes unless you are sure you are well clear.
      • If on a straight section don't drift - stay straight.
      • Approach each situation with caution but execute your driving with intelligence.
      • If you need to redress in this tight pack situation keep going until you can move out of the traffic safely before slowing down

• Qualifying format - We will continue with the split qualifying format:
      • Qualifying sessions are 20 minutes long and split into two 10 minute segments.
      • Segment 1 is exclusively for GT4's.
      • Segment 2 is exclusively for GT3's.
      • The first race will start at approximately 9:20pm AEDT.
    Drivers who's qualifying segment is not active MUST NOT exit the pits during that time. GT3 drivers may only cross the pit exit line when the time remaining ticks down to 10 minutes or less. At this point GT4 drivers can complete the lap they are on but then MUST move off track and immediately teleport back to pits. GT4 drivers who start a lap after the 10 minutes remaining mark, and GT3 drivers who cross the pit exit line before the 10 minutes remaining mark will be subject to the following penalties:​

• 1st offence: driver will be teleported back to pits and warned (momentary DSQ).
      • 2nd offence: driver will be disqualified from the qualifying session.
      • 3rd offence: driver will be disqualified from the entire round (including any previous race).
    NOTE: GT3 drivers on their first outlap must take extra care not to impede GT4 drivers on their final flying lap. Penalties may apply.​

• Discord voice chat rules and etiquette:
      • if you intend to chat you MUST use push-to-talk. No-none wants to hear your gear clicks, heavy breathing or barking dog in the background.
      • non-excessive chat and banter is OK in Practice sessions.
      • There should be minimal chat in Qualifying sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
      • There should be minimal chat in Race sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
      • If you become frustrated or angry at yourself or another driver DO NOT PUSH YOUR TALK BUTTON. Keep it private!
      • DO NOT CONDUCT ARGUMENTS OVER VOICE CHAT. Sort it out later!
      • ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. There's no place for that stuff at Rooz!
      • Please wait until ALL drivers have completed the final lap of a race before discussing your race.
      • Admins may speak at any time in any session for obvious reasons.

• Optional use of indicators - Should drivers wish to use indicators to assist with managing lapped traffic, they are to be used as they are used on the road - i.e. you should indicate which way you are going - if you indicate left, you go left. REMEMBER TO TURN THEM OFF AGAIN.

• All drivers should read the Rooz Etiquette guide and Rules & Regs linked below before the start of Round 1.

• Enjoy the battles with others and yourself :)

MULTICLASS BRIEFING NOTES
    • Feedback from previous rounds has been very positive overall but has highlighted a few important things. We accept that GT3's will aggressively pass GT4's at times - multiclass is challenging for both classes - however there is a limit to what is acceptable.

No matter how difficult it seems for GT3 drivers it is unquestionably more difficult for GT4's. Let us be clear here - GT3 cars have no superior 'rank' to GT4 cars. Blue flag rules apply only because of the speed differential. GT4's have the same 'rights' to the track as GT3's and must not be hustled out of the way. Even a very aware GT4 driver can miss spotting fast moving GT3's especially if battle packs are involved.

On the flip-side GT4's must make sure their movements are predictable when GT3's are in their vicinity. They should also make good use of their mirrors, the realtime display, the trackmap, the radar, the spotter and glancing to ensure awareness (the Crew Chief app is also excellent).

We do understand that incidents will occasionally occur however it is the careless or repetitive incidents that are unacceptable and will incur warnings or penalties.

So in summary:
      • GT4's do not have to come off the racing line to let a GT3 through. It is up to the GT3 to find a CLEAN way to pass (hint - straights are best).
      • GT4's have to brake for corners earlier than GT3's but this is not an invitation TO DIVE BOMB TO THE APEX forcing the GT4 to delay their turn in. Please use care and respect.
      • GT4's may choose to give way to a GT3 early but must be clear in conveying that intention (eg. move off the racing line well before a corner).
      • GT4's must also use care and respect when GT3 drivers are trying to pass
      • All drivers are encouraged to report other drivers who repeatedly flout these rules and guidelines. A report does not need to be a protest and can be done via direct message to an admin on the forum or Discord.

RACE SERVER INFO
    Server Name:
    "RaceOnOz.com 01 ROOZ [AUS:AEDT] RACE SERVER S4 R9 60mins of Zandvoort 2019"
    • The race server will be available to join from approximately 7:45pm AEDT and will kick over to official practice at 8:15pm
    • The server has a locked entry list and will only allow those who have signed up for the season to join it.
    • Qualifying and Practice sessions are open for joining but race sessions are locked.
    • The server won't show in the multiplayer lobby so you will need to search for "raceonoz" or "rooz"
    • PASSWORD: season4

PRACTICE SERVER INFO
    Server Name:
    "RaceOnOz.com 01 ROOZ [AUS:AEDT] PRAC SERVER S4 R9 60mins of Zandvoort 2019"
    • The practice server is available now.
    • The server has a locked entry list and will only allow those who have signed up for the season to join it.
    • All sessions are open for joining.
    • The server won't show in the multiplayer lobby so you will need to search for "raceonoz" or "rooz".
    • All conditions are set to match those that will be used for the race server.
    • PASSWORD: season4

RACE & SESSION INFO
    This round is a SPRINT:
    • 1 x 60 min race.
    • 1 Mandatory pitstop for tyres.
    • 57 minute pit window.
    • No Fuelling allowed! Make sure you add enough fuel at the start for the entire race!
    • 20 min qualifying session split into two 10 minute segments.
      • Segment 1 is exclusively for GT4's.
      • Segment 2 is exclusively for GT3's.
    • Full formation lap with UI gizmo and car ghosting on. Getting too far out of position can result in being auto-sent to the pits for the start. Even just slightly speeding as the lights go green can result in a stop/go penalty.
    • Server time scale multiplier is set at 2x for this round.
    • SESSIONS:
      • Official Practice, 45 mins (in game Saturday 9am) - OPEN for joining
      • Qualifying, 20 mins (in game Saturday 12pm) - OPEN for joining
      • Race, 60 mins (in game Sunday 9am) - LOCKED no joining
    • Weather is set to an average of 22 degrees with a Kunos chance of rain across all sessions so expect some variation.

CAR CHOICE
    Season 4 is a fixed car per driver championship. Whichever car you start your first official round in will be the car you use for the rest of the season.

MORE INFO

DISCORD & VOICE
    All important information for racing is available on our forums, however we strongly advise drivers to join our Discord server for for voice and text chat. Sometimes critical information such as server issues, race delays, last minute race format changes, instructions to a specific driver, etc. will be relayed only through the Discord voice channel and text chat. There is also a healthy dose of banter that just makes the round more fun :). Once you sign up for any Season at Rooz you'll be given extra Discord permissions for text chat.

Discord voice chat rules and etiquette:
    • if you intend to chat you MUST use push-to-talk. No-none wants to hear your gear clicks, heavy breathing or barking dog in the background.
    • non-excessive chat and banter is OK in Practice sessions.
    • There should be minimal chat in Qualifying sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
    • There should be minimal chat in Race sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
    • If you become frustrated or angry at yourself or another driver DO NOT PUSH YOUR TALK BUTTON. Keep it private!
    • DO NOT CONDUCT ARGUMENTS OVER VOICE CHAT. Sort it out later!
    • ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. There's no place for that stuff at Rooz!
    • Please wait until ALL drivers have completed the final lap of a race before discussing your race.
    • Admins may speak at any time in any session for obvious reasons.
    • Feel free to hang around in chat after the race. Many of us like to have a laugh about things that may have happened in the race and it can be a nice wind-down :)

CUSTOM PAINTED SKINS
    Unfortunately due to the serious "join freeze" or "join lag" issue we are currently not allowing the use of custom painted skins for Season 4. Specifically we are talking about skins painted externally and saved as PNG files that are added to ACC.

We love the idea of custom painted skins and would dearly love to add this rich feature to our league but ultimately the quality of the racing must come first. We have discussed at length a number of ideas and methodologies to try to overcome the problem but these involve arrangements which add complexity for the admin team as well as all drivers involved in the season and still may not result in overcoming the problem. If the situation improves significantly either through better support within ACC or through the community arriving at workable solutions then we will certainly look at allowing custom painted skins into our Monday night league racing.

If you also love custom painted skins then please help us out by searching high and low for real solutions, and by all means feel free to do some testing on our servers including during our Wednesday fun practice nights.

At this stage we are not restricting the use of the in-game editor for creating custom colour schemes. This may change if we find that even that system causes serious join lag issues.

NOTE: As we cannot block the use of skins at the server level we strongly suggest all drivers who sign up to Season 4 remove all custom painted skins from their game installation folders as a precaution. If a custom painted skin has been accidently left selected on a driver's car when they enter the S4 server during a qualifying session causing join lag they will be immediately disqualified from the round. Any driver that has a copy of that joining driver's selected skin will experience a large join lag as that image is loaded into memory. Every other driver on the server may experience some level of 'join lag' even if they have zero customs skins in their game.

Thanks for racing at RaceOnOz
    :)
    krunch likes this.
  2. SteveDrivingSlowly

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    krunch likes this.
  3. THE_UNDER_STUDY

THE_UNDER_STUDY Team Driver

Apologies again @SteveDrivingSlowly , Work commitments put me out tomorrow night. I know how much effort goes into to running these and I always try to make every round in a series I enter. But real life is a b!t#h sometimes. :mad::mad:
  4. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I am so :):):):)ing thankful I didn't cause a crash on the start HOLY HELL. 5 seconds after green and my monitor just went black, very scary before turn one. I decided to retire early since I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again (It had already happen 2 times before that in FP1.) Worst Possible Timing.

Bit of shame since I had some good racing here this week but it's totally not worth at it the potential risk of others!!!

[​IMG]

That was the last thing I saw for about 20 seconds, a worse fate than just disconnecting!!! :cry::eek:o_O

Edit: Looks like I just needed to update my graphics drivers :(
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  5. CornfordCaster

Watching this race as a spectator was stressful! It wasn't our cleanest racing but I'm sure I wouldn't have done any better though! :whistling:
  6. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

Hmm, qualy was bad, but the race went pretty well. I gained a few positions in the chaos at the start and had a pretty tidy race. At minute 50 about Dogg had a bit of bad luck catching up with Mael in his GT4. So I had a chance to pass him. Thought, that's luck for me...well, until a Porsche GT3 rocked up and tried what seemed a bit of a Kamekaze pass...yeah, that caused carnage...contact with Mael...Mael then into me and me into wall :(...car f'd...sayonara :(.
    krunch and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  7. Paul McElhinney

Paul McElhinney Rookie

Well, that was probably my best every quali and my first times in the 37's. Sadly my brake point for turn 3 on the first lap was a bit earlier than the person behind me and that was the end of that.

Thanks to the GT4s for letting me by in the early laps. That was alot of fun.
  8. CornfordCaster

Yeah this one wasn't great :S
    killagorilla likes this.
  9. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Tonight was a tough one, but I'm absolutely rapt to have sealed the GT4 class championship! Shout out to @BeefStew (Ryan Duong) and @Jeremy Talbot for the battles all throughout the series :thumbsup: Also congrats to Hendo for the win and similarly sealing the GT3 championship here.

After the 1st lap incidents my rear end had about 18 seconds of panel damage, but when I was on the straight I checked the pit menu and it was 'only' panel damage (the suspension was fine) so I kept driving. While the aero is important here I think front damage might be a lot worse than rear damage. I was at the rear of a train of 6 GT4's (including Ryan, who I knew I had to finish in front of) and Art Vandelay was really putting his car in all the right places. So after several laps of being at the back of the train I decided to pit around 20 minutes, thinking that I could drive a set of tyres for 40 mins.

The pit stop went alright, though I missed my spot. I came out a few laps later and Art had unfortunately picked up a Stop Go. A few laps later I saw Ryan coming out of the pits and I managed to pass him coming out. That 10 minutes running in clean air was just enough. For the next 30 minutes Ryan got really close and attempted an overtake once or twice, but just didn't have enough in there to get past. In the last 10 I think his tyres started going bad, because with each GT3 that passed us he kept falling back a tenth or two here and there.

Managed to hold on to second. Jeremy was out front the whole time by 3-4 seconds, but I was unable to catch him. Well done mate!
  10. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Congratulations @tezpez85 on the GT4 championship.

My heart sank when I qualified dead last, again. But then I managed to finish 9/17 in class, so the night ended better than it started.

Sorry for the 1st lap tap @staffy0707.
  11. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

Have you seen it? I thought I did the right thing by slowing down...not knowing where Dogg is going, but I thought, let's play it safe. We were all coming slowish onto the start-finish straight because of that. The Porsche GT3 was coming with plenty of excess speed, kept the foot on the throttle...seemed like not enough space for a pass so the contact with Mael wasn't too much of a surprise...anyway it seemed he got away with it...I was just at the wrong part of the track, at the wrong time...well, better forget this thing.
    staffy0707, krunch and CornfordCaster like this.
  12. CornfordCaster

I saw this live when spectating and from memory you were just a victim.
    staffy0707, killagorilla and krunch like this.
  13. SteveDrivingSlowly

More of the same for me!

Fun? Yes!

Bad qualy? Yes!

OK pace? Yes!

Just hang in there and get a result I'm happy with? Yes!

I was very lucky that Vandelay (@fRZn) got a penalty this round that cost him big time, and that I managed to somehow gain a lot of time on @Bueller in the pits and with the GT3 traffic that made it possible for me to hold him off until the finish line. Very happy with my luck this round!

Great job to all finishers as always, and especially the podiums in all class/car combinations - well done @krunch on a great drive for the silver GT4 win!
  14. staffy0707

staffy0707 Rookie

@Wally if you wanted a better look at how much better my paint job of the beamer is than yours you only had to ask lol. Nah all good though no hard feelings. I was excited to finally be of the back row for once and I was keeping pace but ultimately I wrecked myself 10mins in and had to put early. My pit stop was so bad I think a five year old could of done a better job. Then cos of the early pit stop I spent the last 10 mins of the race battling tyre pressure loss and trying to stay out of others way especially the guys who were in battle packs. But wasn't a complete waste of time. I was happy that when I was on the track that my pace was good for the back end of the field and also gained alot of experience and confidence with follow others and not hitting anyone. Usually what happens is Im still a little cautious when following a car of around same pace and then they are able to pull away, but last night till messed myself up I never felt like Wally was going to get away from my and I worked out I got my brake timing alot better when in a battle so not all was lost. So considering I'm only 3 months into Sim driving and 8 proper races I'm comfortable where I'm at so far.
  15. TomHanks

TomHanks Rookie

Mega job by the GT4s on a tricky circuit, what a bunch of drivers.
    It's only the third race I've been able to get to and I'm not so fast so when I found myself driving in the top ten I just hoped noone would notice I didn't belong there haha. Had some really good racing moments out there though until the last 10 minutes when I started to make a few mistakes, definitely still on the steep part of the learning curve.
    Looking forward to next week's enduro even though I'll be getting up for work around 4 hours after I get to bed o_O ( assuming I can get the car to the end of it)
  16. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Last night went better than expected for me and I had a blast :).

Last Wednesday night actually helped a lot as I was able to fine tune my setup a bit more while comparing my pace to other cars in the same conditions. I also managed to get a couple of hours in on the prac server on the weekend too. It's nice to have a car that now responds to my inputs, even when recovering from mistakes. Amazing what a couple of hours of practice can do!

I managed a decent lap in qualy and found I was at the front of the Silver class. Hoping to capitalise on that I made a good start but all bets were off at T3-T4 as cars started to bounce around like a marbles in a spin dryer! I took to the grass (cough cough) to avoid the carnage and carried on largely unscathed.

I had now lost the class lead as Vandalay had also managed to get through the mess OK so I set about trying to at least stay with him. Lately he's had better pace than me so I wasn't sure if I could take back the lead. Nichols was between us but he managed to jump both Vandelay and Duong when they had a clash. Soon a damaged and recovering Terry was on my tail forcing me to defend which was slowing us both down. He made a good move into T1 so I slotted in behind without losing much time and hoped he'd disrupt the cars ahead allowing me to make some headway. This worked as Vandalay held off Terry for a quite a while keeping them both at reduced pace which kept me in the hunt.

Eventually Terry went for an early pit to get him out of the battle and I continued to nibble at the tail of Vandalay, Duong, Nichols and Mironenko while they battled hard. Eventually something had to give and Mironenko and Vandalay came together at the final chicane. This was enough for me to jump them both and I started to build a gap. Sadly for Vandalay he snagged a penalty at his pit stop which took him out of the running. All I had to do from then was to keep up my pace and not stuff up my pitstop. I've faced that equation before and not managed it. This time I nailed the pitstop and made no driving mistakes thus ending up with my first Silver win of the season. I'm not in the hunt for the championship but nice to pocket a win.

Well done to the GT3 drivers! I was impressed with their patience at this track. From my perspective they did a fine job at what is clearly one of the hardest tracks to squeeze past.

Congrats to Terry on clinching the Pro GT4 Championship and to Henderson for Clinching the GT3 championship!

Now let's see what Bathurst brings us next Monday :).
  17. c4rLo5

c4rLo5 Team Driver Gold Member

Really sorry @Mael for my impatient pass on the grass on the main straight. And apologies for the subsequent wreck that it caused @killagorilla . Didn't realize at the time Mael had gone off. I thought we just tapped slightly and both of us kept going. Haven't seen the replay but obviously will happily accept any penalties I'm given. @SteveDrivingSlowly can you please have a look at this one. Having the 2 classes really adds a completely new dynamic to racing and knowing when to take a risk and make an opportunity with traffic, or when to be more cautious, but not too much to lose position. Made the wrong call a few times last night both ways, sometimes being too aggressive/risky and also too cautious/reserved.

But still had a massive amount of fun, and that's the main reason I race so again apologies for anyone's race (fun) that I spoiled, because that's really not my intention.
  18. SteveDrivingSlowly

Thanks mate, we (admins) will take a look at the incident.
    Flamebadger, c4rLo5 and krunch like this.
  19. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

I brought it up because it was frustrating my race was ended, but not to get anyone a penalty. I know it's very hard taking the foot off the throttle...haha...guess it was just one of these split second decisions, which turned out badly for some.
    I've certainly made mistakes myself. Cheers for the apology.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  20. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

removed by admin
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2020
    Paul McElhinney likes this.