ACC ACC Season 2 Monday's rnd 6 Silverstone 90 minute Enduro.

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Fun racing tonight, very eventful. I had a great start with some great racing in a big pack of guys, finding my way to P18. But I copped a couple of hits from behind which spun me, so I decided to pit relatively early to get some clear track. But my stupid pit crew didn't want to get to work. For some reason I had to reverse and drive back in about 3 times to what felt like the same spot before the stop would trigger. After pitting, I also had a couple of spins all by myself, on kerbs.

Then it was just letting lapping traffic past, with a few positional changes up and down, until Kye S, Paul F and I had a good tough fight to the end with no one wanting to give an inch. It was a good end to a race that I felt I should have probably done better in.
  2. AeroDynamicMilk

AeroDynamicMilk Rookie

My race was quite boring and slow up until you guys came and gave me some company :) Was a really fun battle the last couple laps
    andyo450 likes this.
  3. marty

marty AC Server Legend

c4rLo5 and Coanda like this.
  4. Brad Jesson

Brad Jesson New Recruit

thats a shame jeremy about the drive thru. i let you go thru figured no point racing somebody out of my class anyway would rather sit behind you and let you pull me along haha.

I was 3.3 seconds off rolz and the 2 lambos and catching by .3 to .5 a lap while they were battling until i took too much kerb at t1 and did a half spin losing 9 seconds. i have no doubt i woulda got into that battle if i didnt spin :( and you definately woulda been right in the middle of it with your pace.

Boring race for me all in all nobody around for the whole race really but will take the points thats for sure
    andyo450 and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  5. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Was a fun race, qualy I put in a pretty good lap to get pole which as always a good place to start. :)

Start of race I had a good get away and managed to stay ahead, I planned to run a bit longer if I had the lead which maybe wasnt a great call. I went as hard as I could first stint made a small gap but Andy clawed back at the end of his stint as his GTR was a bit nicer on the rubber. I probably should have stopped the lap after him but hoped he may get some traffic, low fuel maybe id still have reasonable pace. My tyres werent great and stopping about 5 laps after Andy I went from 1 second up to about 4.5 down.

My car felt great so I just went full qualy mode to see if I could make that back, I was surprised to be clawing back .5 or more per lap and made that gap up in about 6 laps. I had some good pace and fresher rubber tried to have make the pass soon before our tyres stabilized a bit.

I made a small error locking rears into village as I was so close and missed my brake marker. In the half panic to counter steer I must have changed my engine map to 9 which is fuel saving. It took me just over a lap to figure out where my speed went lol and I lost 2 seconds to Andy again. From there I tried hard to make the gap up again but my tyres were used up catching Andy the first time. I made a little time the first couple laps but then the progress stopped and I had to back off to keep it on the black stuff.

The highlights this week are Sponsored by Vodafone, either that or director loves @Rolz or another bug has made it into 1.3.1x :D
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    andyo450, tezpez85, Coanda and 2 others like this.
  6. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

haha... more like director knew I should have driven better!

WD @andyo450 on the win and @marty and @Daniel Benefield on the podiums!!

Q1 - just couldn't put a nice lap together... my best last night was about 0.5 off my average on the hotlap server... so it shows the quality of the field again... putting me in 11th to start
    R1 - Happy with P7... was a hard night... struggling for pace against the top field... thankfully after the pits it ended up being super fun... couldn't get past @Godzilla and he couldn't get past @tezpez85 all finishing with less than a second between us after 90min was cool... just a 3 man train for about 30min. Cheers fellas

WD all who made the distance too... 90min is always a challenge... :thumbsup:

Sorry @Daniel Benefield I miss tagged u.. congrats on Podium... Sorry @Kcender87 on the incorrect tag :oops:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  7. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

@gominiman - Sorry for the tap in Vale. My fault.. :oops:
    andyo450 likes this.
  8. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

Yep same here, Just couldn't find any pace in Q. But also in the race I was consistently 1 second off my pace that I was getting offline in the same conditions, it was really frustrating
    tezpez85, marty and Rolz like this.
  9. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

7:18 - How not to behave when getting blue flagged.

There was another wild incident later on in the race with the same driver which would have wiped me had I not snap-judged the right way.
    Coanda likes this.
  10. Kcender87

Kcender87 Rookie

fast car - violent to the fronts - severe front grain no matter how delicately I drove the thing which i guess suggests inherent push in how I have the thing setup - work to do at my end :p
    tezpez85, andyo450 and Rolz like this.
  11. LukeP

LukeP New Recruit

I had a lot of fun, even after getting turned around on entry to T8 in the opening laps. Got a long list of things to work on, but definitely back for the next one :thumbsup:
    andyo450 and Rolz like this.
  12. marty

marty AC Server Legend

We found another bug yesterday, for reasons only Kunos knows the race started at 11am. :rolleyes:

It was meant to start at 3pm which is what it had in the config (I did double check) and also in the pit menu session times it said 3pm for race. This is the first time I saw this, so it was quite a bit warmer then it would have been with the later start. I didnt even notice this until mid way through my second stint when my tyres were way higher pressure then expected. I raised them a bit as I expected it to cool down but instead it got warmer.

I have never seen this happen before, session times are bugged out massively on a server up for a long time before anyone joins. But normally if people join before first session times out and restarts the session times are correct.

The 1.3.10 update brought some cool things like tyre wear, but it clearly broke a few things with the server including dynamic weather. Fingers crossed we get 1.4 this week and it improves things.
  13. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

With the 4th place result you are getting closer to working it out last night :)
    cool! the more the merrier...:D

Edit - got podiums wrong
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    LukeP likes this.
  14. Flamebadger

Flamebadger ACC Server Legend

@marty's explanation regarding the session time makes a lot of sense! I thought I had judged my setup pretty well re tyre wear but found at stint 1 my tyres did fall off a cliff. Didn't notice the higher temps, so that helps explain that. I did have a bit of push in my chosen setup, so this all tracks.

Quali went well for me, I actually was a hundredth or so faster than my fastest on the hotlap server. I was expecting to go backwards in the race as I definitely did not have the race pace to reflect the one lap pace I was able to get, and there were people behind me who I definitely thought would be faster in the race.

I had chosen a relatively slower race setup, as it felt like a much safer proposition for 90 minutes. This meant I had no scary moments in Maggots / Becketts or at Abbey / Farm. I think I had one or two slight misjudgements there in the race that in the aggressive default setup (which is what I usually run on each track with only minor changes to tyre pressures because I am terrible at setups) would have had me in a spin and possibly into a wall. Much better to be about 10--15 seconds slower over the hour and a half than crashing the car. Unfortunately dialling out the instability meant I had a fair amount of push and in the hotter than expected temps meant my tyres were going off quicker than expected. All my time loss late in stints interestingly came in the section from Abbey through to Aintree. The Honda was terrible at the run through Farm to Village and then the hairpin at the Loop at the best of times, but when the tyres were done, I was losing nearly 8 tenths on my best in that 15 second section of track alone.

Anyway, aside setup chat, I was pretty happy overall. Due to incidents, despite going from p1 to p3 in silver, I went overall p12 to p11 AND I didn't get punted all race :D I also think I finished precisely where I had the pace to finish in the conditions, so absolutely no complaints. Enjoyed the first 25 mins where @Brad Jesson, myself, @Jeremy Talbot and @Sparksy84 were in a bit of a train, but then my tyres started to go off and I gradually fell away from @Brad Jesson and @Jeremy Talbot.

Second stint I was kinder to my tyres in light of my tyres dying in stint 1, and made progress from 7 secs behind @Sparksy84 to 4 at the flag. Would have been a little bit closer (though in no way close enough to change the result), but had an AM Aston Martin who had made a mistake at Becketts do a J-turn in the middle of the track in front of me on the second to last lap, so had to jump on the brakes and swerve - lost about one and a half seconds as I was losing time all along the Hangar Straight and suddenly my "comfortable" gap to the recovering @Jeremy Talbot was not so comfortable, especially with my tyres starting to wear down.

It's largely not worth pointing fingers as no one here does anything intentionally, but I think this was the same driver @tepez85 mentioned above, so perhaps just another learning experience to take forward into future rounds regarding rejoins, especially as there is a paved area on the outside of Becketts that you can turn into to re-orient yourself without coming across the track in a tricky and high speed section, and then can rejoin in a straight line just after Chapel, which would be safer and quicker :)
    tezpez85, andyo450, Sparksy84 and 4 others like this.
  15. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

I had probably the most frustrating race i've ever had (without any contact anyway), in practice made sure to take into account the tyre wear, only turning in as much as needed to not wear the fronts out and was still going pretty slow since I just have no clue how to take the 3rd sector properly and consistently even with hours of practice since the braking point seems to drastically change in this car from lap to lap, so I decided to move the brakes forward and slow earlier since i'd rather be slower then lose the rear and spin out.

Start of the race was ok, was part of a train but wanted to keep the tyre wear down so just followed for a while. Passed Vandelay (sorry for flashing btw I nicked the button by accident) and went to try and catch the cars ahead, half an hour in got a slow puncture in the right rear and didn't want to pit in since that would just make things worse towards the end of the race so held on for another 10-15 minutes. Pitted in and the car felt better for a while but for some reason in the last half an hour it became borderline impossible to drive, constantly sliding at the rear and constantly refusing to turn in. It felt like I was driving in the wet on slicks and had damage (checked and I didn't have any), even after being conservative on corner entry the rear of car just started to let go immediately so in the end I just parked it, rather not ruin other peoples race because the car was just handling like an absolute pig.

I loathe this track now and all I can hope is that the tyre grip update wasn't the reason why the car turned into this. I really tried to conserve the tyres and it did absolutely nothing towards the end, so either that does nothing or this track is (hopefully) the worst handling wise for the GTR.

If it is the latter then I have absolutely no idea how to drive endurance races in this car anymore and might just skip them entirely.
  16. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

Pretty happy with that result. Qually was good. Pole was possible but it would’ve taken a gem of a lap.

I was a bit unsure of how the tyres would handle a 45 mins stint with the new tearing and that twin turbo v6 hanging over the front axle. It was torture watching Marty skip away a little bit early on and kcender was applying a fair bit of pressure behind. The GTR had a little bit more speed in it so I had to keep reminding myself to take care of the tyres. It paid off towards the end of the first stint when the gap to Marty started to come down. It got to around half a second but I wasn’t able to get close enough in the highspeed stuff to make a move. I came in into the pits just before half distance hoping to get out ahead of Marty but to my surprise he stayed out another 3 or 4 laps after i stopped. I wasn’t doing amazing laps after the stop but came out well ahead. So I settled back into a rhthym and tried to protect the front tyres again thinking 4.5 seconds would last me 20 mins or so and by then Marty’s tyres would be hopefully around the same pace as mine. He was flying though, taking about 8 tenths a lap out that gap. He caught right up then made a small mistake towards the end of the lap which gave me a bit more breathing room. By this time our tyres had equalised and I was able to maintain the gap until the end.

That was a great fun battle, that new tyre wear really spiced it up. I don’t think I had the outright pace for the win with the old wear. Well done @marty and @Daniel Benefield on the podiums.
    nanlatt, Jeremy Talbot, kuda and 2 others like this.
  17. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Maybe @andyo450 can help you out as he had that thing dialled tyre wear wise the last 2 round since the update that made wear much more significant. He had a bit more rubber the end of each stint against me the last 2 rounds.

Its also possible this round as the race started at the wrong time with temps rising and not dropping during the race as expected this had some impact too. The other thing with the guys that are having front tyre wear issues what steering lock are you using? if your running a smaller lock then the car has it will make steering faster and make it more likely your over scrubbing the fronts on turn in. I am fairly sure everyone has felt the tyre wear but seems some have had more issues then others.

We can use this thread for driving and setup tips, I'm sure a few of the quicker guys will be glad to help others here with tips and setup theories. If anyone wants any of my past round Porsche setups I can post them in there too and give general tips if they are struggling. ;)

Next season we will probably open up a teams group where people can work together, not sure how to do it yet but we have lots of time left in this season still. Its likely the next season will be a British GT series running mixed class GT3 and GT4 following the British schedule and basic structure.
  18. Radtaco

Radtaco Rookie

This was me, i am very sorry for holding anyone else up and being unpredictable, in that instance i had been battling for several laps, and the corner prior i had messed up my breaking point while letting lapers through and went really deep, i thought there were only 2 cars lapping me so i slowed to let them through, and just didn't see you, then like a rookie i wasn't sure where to go to let you through so i kept accelerating. I was very dirty with myself as i try to prevent holding anyone up especially if they are battling for positions. This was absolutely my fault.

And the 2nd instance was very late into the race and i had hit the sausage on the inside sending me off the track where i planned to stay till the lapping pack passed, but i was rear ended and by someone i had lapped and send back onto the into the path of those lapping me. There wasn't much else i could do to prevent that happening but again I'm sorry.
    krunch, Rolz, Jeremy Talbot and 2 others like this.
  19. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

We’ve already got a GTR one going :D. I haven’t had enough experience with the new wear yet to know how much my tyres came down to driving and how much to setup. I was leaving about 6 tenths on the table early in the stint I think trying to protect them.
    marty and TakFR like this.
  20. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

Andy has been helping us already which is appreciated a lot by both @nanlatt and I, the strange thing is i've had the fronts go but the rear of the car being unstable despite no damage is what is really confusing and forced me to just park it
    marty likes this.