ACC ACC Monday's Season 2 rnd 2 Monza 90 min Enduro 23rd March

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Mar 17, 2020.

1. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

It was a great start, just slightly reacting faster than the front dudes and just happened to get the right position for turn 1. From there I felt the car was looser than what I was in practice with, though the tire temps were fine. After a bunch of defensive work @Andy got a good run into T1. I'm not sure if it was a mistake I made, but @marty got through as well, and I managed to hang onto the tail of these guys + @Jeremy until the stops.

Andy went really early, and Marty a few laps later. I saw Jeremy was still out, so I dove in and managed to get a good stop. It was several laps later when Jeremy came out and I was about 2-3 seconds in front. He chipped that down tenth by tenth over the next several laps as I had slightly over pressured my tyres, however just as he got to about 0.7, the ambient temps started dropping and brought my tyres into range. From there I started pulling away and catching the guys in front. Marty and Andy were dicing, so I got to the rear of them and watched as Andy pulled a move on Marty. On the last lap I had a run and it was probably my only chance to get Marty so I dove down the inside and overcooked it by about 3-4 metres.

I rejoined behind Marty and got close, but didn't have another chance at a pass. Congrats to the top two!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    andyo450, marty and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  2. kuda

kuda Rookie

Had to learn a few things the hard way in this race. "Fuel to add: 0" doesn't mean fuel won't be added just that the first fuel strategy will be used. Was trying to click on everything to get it to show the 70lt I picked before race only to miss my spot in the pits, tried to reverse as I didn't think I could do another lap and there are no collisions in pits anyway, only to be DQ'd for reversing. :confused: Was having a decent race cruising behind @Mael and @SteveDrivingSlowly in 15th spot. Hope this and last week's internet drop out at Zolder are my bad luck used up for the season.
    andyo450 likes this.
  3. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Race highlights (upload will be done in about 30 minutes)
  4. Balimaar

Balimaar Rookie

I'm sorry if I was one of the people you had trouble with. I tried to let leaders by as soon as I could.
    Jeremy Talbot likes this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Working on the file upload - probably need to work it out tomorrow. Basically the number of drivers and length of session have created a rather enormous file as every drivers every lap, sector, time etc is recorded as a separate record and it keeps timing out during processing.

my race was pretty awesome until the final two laps. I had a minor contact of the start line which gave me 6 seconds of aero damage that I elected not to repair during my pit.

I had a good first stint staying safe and finding an OK pace, making up 7 places from my 18th position on the start line. I absolutely nailed my pit again and came out in 9th, and eould gain another position as a driver in front pitted. From here I just got my head down and tried to be consistent and get through traffic safely. Coming up on the last 30 minutes I had about ten seconds or so on frost behind me and jorgenson and vandelay behind him maybe another 2 seconds or so. I could see however that I was losing a few tenths per lap to this group so new that I had to hold on to the end without a mistake or incident.

2 laps from the finish I came up behind wally to lap him, and as we approached ascari I decided to wait until the following straight to overtake - but I got to close in the braking zone and had to make a quick decision whether to risk tapping wally or bail into the gravel - I chose the gravel and lost the position to frost in doing so, but we all got through it alive so I’m calling it a win.

Then on the last lap Jorgenson was approaching and still a couple tenths a lap quicker, I had about 0.6 on him so new that if I defended well I could hold the position for class win. Sadly at the second chicane as I took the inside line he rear ended me - but we both held on and I stayed in front. Now here is where that 6 seconds of aero damage from before comes in...that I chose not to repair...

I approached lesmo 1 and as I hit the brake and turned in I lost all grip at the rear and pulled off a sick drift around the outside, just about keeping it on track but losing the position. Had I been thinking I would have anticipated the effects of more damage on aero and braked earlier and taken the corner tight to the inside but of course I just did what I’d been doing for the previous 89 mins like a pleb. I nursed it home from here for class 2nd - I’ll take that!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Coanda, tezpez85, andyo450 and 2 others like this.
  6. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

Another Monza to forget.. Cleaned up early by a vehicle bouncing off the wall in the Lesmo's which resulted in carrying damage all through the first stint.. Maybe I should have pitted for repairs right away.. Dunno.. Most of the race I was running in clean air with no real battles.. :thumbsdown:

Anyway, probably my weakest circuit and I can't fully understand why.. One positive is at the end of each stint the car was running a lot more consistent compared to season 1 however the pace is nothing to be excited about..

Monza 2 - Coanda 0
  7. Wally

Wally Team Driver

That was me. From memory, it was approaching the Lesmos (I might be wrong). Sometimes lappers need to be a little patient. At Monza, a safe passing straight is ever only going to be a second or two away. I let many cars past under blue flags, but always on a safe straight.

By the way, I put the indicators on to show what side to pass on. Do people notice? Is it useful?
  8. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Yes it's noticeable and it helps, though some car's indicators are small. I also make judicious use of the flasher to warn blue flaggers that I'm coming up on them at speed.
    andyo450 and LuciuxNexx like this.
  9. LuciuxNexx

LuciuxNexx Rookie

I got booped off the track at the start last night, and damage form that meant I needed a pit stop to repair damage. Which cost me being a lap down. then trying to just make up a little bit of time binned it again this time out of ascari, another lap and a bit down. Third time of track was due to getting something in my eye and trying to get it out while in VR is no an easy task lol.

Given the workload I've been under lately I decided to pit and call it a night. rather than be a grumpy :):):):) in the game.
    I would like to have a race here I'm not hit though.
    andyo450 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  10. marty

marty AC Server Legend

This is where everyone really needs to try their best to avoid contact and remain in control. If we want to keep the grid numbers up and there is still plenty of room on the grid for more. Avoiding those odd silly contacts that really shouldnt happen will let everyone enjoy the racing more.

Accidents will happen always as they do in real racing, but especially in longer races conceding the odd battle early if you dont think you can win it clean to stay in the race will give you and all others more enjoyable races.

Leaving racing room is the key and avoiding lane changes with overlap will help avoid many of these silly contacts that can ruin peoples nights.
    tezpez85, andyo450 and LuciuxNexx like this.
  11. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

Spot on Wal. It's predictable and safe for everyone..

I was given a opportunity to pass however it was at T1, deep in the braking zone, on the racing line and little bit late minute.. It got a little confusing and messy. No big deal because we were both down the order however in my opinion it's not the right way to let a car through particularly in such a tight chicane..
    andyo450 likes this.
  12. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

It was the tight chicane just before the Lesmos. Quite possibly I could have been a bit more patient but I had Marty up my ass battling for the lead and I didn't particularly want to be held up, but that aside I should have braked a touch earlier. I braked at my normal braking point thinking that would be enough but I guess you had braked a bit sooner so I had to take avoiding action. From my point of view I think you should have pulled to the left before that corner and let us past, otherwise I would have been behind until the straight leading to Ascari by which stage Marty would have had the run on me.

Look it's all good I'm not complaining, I just wish for my personal race that traffic was a bit better. It was great at Zolder so it may have just been one of those days :thumbsup:
    tezpez85, Wally and andyo450 like this.
  13. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

Its worth a damn lot of time as well if you can keep your car damage free. In longer races keeping your car damage free is easily worth 30 seconds (not joking or exaggerating) in most instances, depending on severity of course. Its in your best interest to avoid accidents at pretty much literally any cost. I’ve never had a spin or off track thats cost me anywhere close to 30 seconds.

That was an awesome race for me. The pace up front was vvvvveeeerrrrryyyy close. There was genuinely 5 people that could’ve won that.
    I tweaked a few things with the setup earlier on in the week in the Nissan that aren’t really recommended to try and find a bit of traction and front end grip . It seemed to work well enough, made the car slightly difficult to drive if you went slightly over the limit but I was pretty sure I could manage it. I chose to run really aggressive on the brakes with set 1 and 2/1 brake ducts but never tested that so I was going in a bit blind. There have been enough examples online of people running out of brakes with set 1 and 4 so I was a little bit nervous about that but knew I needed everything that I could get my hands on in this race.

Qually was pretty good. P1-P-5 was a tossup so to end up second was very nice. Well done to @Jeremy Talbot on pole. Nice work.

I didn’t think I got too bad of a jump but Tez absolutely nailed it and was side by side at the T1 braking zone. I got pushed wide on the exit and chose to avoid any potential damage and run a little bit on the gravel. Dropped back to 5th by T3. The next few laps I was just sussing everything out, taking it easy on the brakes and seeing who had what sort of pace.
    Marty was making plays but the gaps weren’t growing out massively so I was happy to just sit back and wait. I sent it a few times down the outside of 1 on Tez but that was more to check if my brakes were giving me the advantage I hoped they would.
    Eventually I got around Tez and set off after Jeremy. I was able to close that gap down and I think Marty at this point was about 3 seconds ahead so it was still all pretty close and anyones race really.
    I realised pretty quick that the Merc would be hard to overtake so I decided to pit a bit early, get some new tyres on and hope for some clear track on exit. The pitstop wasn’t brilliant. Still not great at pulling the GTR up on the marks. I came out with 9 or so seconds of clear air and set to work. I think Marty was in the very next lap and he came out just over 2 seconds ahead.
    Most of the race to the end was me ever so slightly closing in then making a tiny mistake and having to do it all again. About 10? laps from the end I noticed Martys pace start to drop off. When I got close I started to realise he was a little bit earlier on the brakes than I would’ve though. Not enough to send it at this stage but just noticeable. Wasn’t sure if it was fuel saving or the porsche getting high at the front on low fuel but i was able to close right up. It got worse and worse as the laps went on and in the end there was nothing Marty could do. He had to brake at least 15m earlier than me into t1. Not a moment too soon as well because Tez had some pretty good speed and w as right on us by the time I made the move.

That was a very cool win. Bit of fighting, strategy and flatout driving made it very enjoyable. Bad luck to Jeremy and Kcender. You guys could’ve definitely been on the podium if the race had gone differently.
    Well done to @marty and @tezpez85. Great racing fellas
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    tezpez85, Shawn Jacobs, marty and 2 others like this.
  14. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

from what I could see mate you were 1000% the perfect gentleman under blue
    Wally likes this.
  15. Kcender87

Kcender87 Rookie

Managed to ruin my own race being a bit too ambitious with the 3rd anti-cut in Ascari....twice...:p Fezza was super quick for being draggy as all hell though so not all bad - @marty and @tezpez85 I hope there wasnt any damage from that first chicane incident early in the race - one of the plastic washer things in the brake pedal gave out and lodge din the spring resulting in brake failure basically - good times :p
  16. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

You were ridiculously fast at the end there, I was really worried I was going to lose my position to you but I guess you got a drive through? I thought you may have gone off on parabolica..
  17. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Lol I saw you coming from well back, the 911 was a demon on the brakes (until they gave up :p) if I am on the brakes hard and something is still closing fast best to let them go. I don't think you made contact with @tezpez85 either but looked pretty close.

With track limits I was amazed to not even get a single warning, once my brakes were starting to fail and I was entering Ascari way slower then I would have liked with @andyo450 on my tail. I had to really open up the exit and was running very wide there but never got triggered, maybe it was because I was slower then earlier in the race on the delta there? My normal line was pretty safe there even though it was probably the worst corner for the 911 compared to those racing around me.

Entry was quite a bit slower and had to be pretty careful with the curbs, I did some laps in the merc and it was a completely different corner there. I could just come in way faster and eat the curbs on any side in that thing maybe gaining 2 to 3 tenths in just that corner. I wasn't surprised the merc got pole but in the race it was likely to be closer then single lap pace and it was interesting to see a mix of cars battling up front at Monza. None of these cars were really the single lap pace standouts either.
  18. Kcender87

Kcender87 Rookie

Got mega-tagged by traffic on the back straight - was looking forward to what looked like a good fight in the dying laps :(
    Jeremy Talbot likes this.
  19. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Race results added to 2nd post and season standings should be updated.
  20. T-86_RS

T-86_RS New Recruit

Hmm. I can't find myself on the standings list.