ACC Should we lengthen qualifying for Monday night races

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Mar 18, 2020.

?

How long should Monday qualifying sessinos be?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2020.
  1. 10 Minutes

47.6%
  2. 15 Minutes

33.3%
  3. 20 Minutes

19.0%
  1. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Current qualifying is 10 minutes for all races on Mondays, we may extend this to 15 or 20 minutes, this poll is up to see what general opinion is on this matter.

Main concern some have is they couldn't get a clear lap in qualifying, if we are to extend qualifying it will just start sooner then current qualifying as we don't really want race nights to go any longer. the 2x30 sprint rounds will still stay as 2x10 qualy sessions but all other Sprint, Enduro and ICGT rounds may have qualifying extended if that's what the majority would prefer.

Personally I don't mind the shorter sessions especially as they generally don't allow too many stints limiting people exiting pits during the session, making the session longer will mean people exit pits more often through the entire session and may make traffic worse then it already is.

Unless people take more care exiting pits and avoid effecting anyone's lap while they are on an outlap. In round 1 I saw people exit pits in front of traffic and weaving across the track on outlaps with cars directly behind on hotlaps, which in a longer session will happen more often so I am voting to keep it at 10 minutes.
  2. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

After last night qual I would say yes, extension needed
    There is a much larger number of cars on track to contend with to try and get a clean lap in
    Take the extra qual time out of the practice session so race times don't have to change
    krunch likes this.
  3. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

I voted 10min too. Maybe longer at Spa would be good - by the time you spent 2 min. getting out of the pit lane and then do an outlap there won't be much time left over for a couple of laps....
  4. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I voted 15min only because I've been used to that on Mondays for as long as I can remember...
    But change can be good if ppl want that extra kick of anxiety hahaha
  5. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

I voted 10 minutes. I think it's plenty long enough. It's the same for everyone so it's up to us as to how we sort our qualifying runs out. If you come out of the pits behind a slower car then just create a gap so you have enough space to get a lap or 2 in.

Having problems in quali is just part of motorsport and tbh the races are long enough to make positions back if you end up further back than where you should be.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  6. Jarmel

Jarmel Rookie

I havn't voted yet, but there is a few other options to consider , if its easy to do.
    1. Is your only allowed 2 laps + the out lap.
    2. go 20 minutes and 1st 7 mins is for pro , 2nd 7 mins for silver and 3rd is for am drivers again 2 lap limit.
    3 . keep as is.
    4. Pit exit was in crappy place hopefully its better at future tracks so will be a non issue.

Also I did get in the way exiting the pits apologies for that, I tried to get out of the way and in doing so I lost the rear end forcing me onto the racing line.
    krunch likes this.
  7. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

@marty I think your arguments are spot on. We can't start races any later and more session time encourages more pit outs. But at the same time the problem of drivers exiting the pits carelessly is also a behavioural issue and is likely to reduce as the season progresses (and they get told they are a naughty boy enough times :)). Plus it will be less of an issue at certain tracks because of the pit exit design.

The other issue though is track congestion. Everyone is desperate to get straight out on track to maximise the number of laps they can fit in when it's only 10 mins. A longer session means some will stay in the pits at first and stay in the pits longer between runs. This should reduce track congestion a little meaning finding a decent gap is easier even if there are a few more pit exits. A longer session also gives you more time to get back out for another lap if you have been impeded. You also may have time to make quick setup tweaks if the conditions are different to prac.

As Frostwa said I think we can safely take 5 or 10 mins out of practice and add that to qualy. 15 min qualy seems reasonable to me and worked well last season so that's my vote.
  8. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Its an interesting suggestion but I think just making it more complicated then really needs to be and people sitting out during a session probably isn't what most want to be doing with their time.

Also the real series has qualy sessions with more then double the field we have many rounds and all cars are on track at once, its just a part of the series. Managing qualifying is a big part of the race weekend, sometimes it will go well other times you get unlucky much like racing in general.
    krunch likes this.
  9. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

Another consideration for qualifying is to simply get one out lap and one full speed lap for your qual time.
    I know this is not necessarily following the Blancpain series style but it has worked for mates and myself for years having fun runs.
    I do think with the bigger grid numbers 20mins is a must, again taking the extra 10mins out of the practice time
  10. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

10 mins for my money and deal with the traffic using common sense. I know I'm not quick in qualy so I try and find a spot behind a fast guy with no one within 5+ seconds behind me and make that work, so I don't hold others up.

In silver class (and likely am class too) qualy isn't going to win you the race in most circumstances. A consistent and safe drive in the race without big mistakes will bring you success. Pro class is different - a bad qualy can ruin it for the fast guys - so if your in silver or am and on your fast lap, and a pro class driver with amazing pace comes up behind, just let 'em through, take a breath and focus on the race!

Agree with @nanlatt about Spa though, that probably does need to be longer.

We should have penalties for misbehavior that are applied to your finished race time to discourage stopping on the middle of track, intentionally ruining someones lap, tailgating someone until they make a mistake etc
    krunch, Jeremy Talbot and marty like this.
  11. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Spa is probably a good idea, even there making it 15 minutes you would rather stay out then spend 4 minutes exiting pit lane and 5 minutes on outlaps doing 2 runs. Leaving just over 6 minutes to still get 2 maybe 3 flying laps.

Regarding AM and Silver guys giving way to pro's I dont think thats needed. Its up to the faster guys to find a gap and if an AM is on a hotlap and I am behind them. If I cant pass them clean enough without losing time its better to abort the lap and find a gap for the next one. Everyone on a valid hotlap has every right to keep going IMHO and no need to move over.

If someone is on an outlap, invalid or well off their best lap delta its a different story but you should never be forced to abort a proper qualy lap.
    TakFR, SteveDrivingSlowly and krunch like this.
  12. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I’m going with 10 minutes. It’s quali, there should be some pressure to get a good lap in. Any more and you have to much freedom to go back to pits and try again. There’s plenty of time in the practice session to get a decent rhythm going so shouldn’t need what would effectively become another practice session.
  13. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

Slower drivers on hotlaps are absolutely not required to move over and compromise their laps for quicker drivers. Its up to the quicker drivers to give themselves enough gap to get a lap in.
    Overtaking in qually is also not against any rules Im aware of. Its frowned upon a bit but sometimes you’ve just gotta do it.

As far as whether to extend it or not I genuinely could not care less :D. 10-15-20 mins makes no difference to me.
    tezpez85, krunch and marty like this.
  14. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

I like 15 min qually sessions in case of extreme weather changes therefor you can have a couple of minutes to think and make about your changes..
  15. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

10 is too short I agree. Also, the way this vote is counted should be a bit different - everyone voting for greater than 10 minutes is essentially asking to extend the session.
    Coanda and Rolz like this.
  16. marty

marty AC Server Legend

That is true but its still only 9/9 and the vote is asking for changing "sessinos" so no idea wtf that is even if I wrote it. :confused::D

Once the voting is closed we will take a look at the numbers and if more vote for 15 and 20 minutes then do for 10 it will change to whichever of the 2 gets more votes. ;)
    krunch likes this.
  17. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

What’s the real quali session time Blancpain?
  18. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Sprint rounds usually 2x 20 minutes 1 session per driver with q1 setting grid for r1 and q2 for r2 with whichever driver sets the qualy time having to start the race, enduro is usually 3x 15m 1 session per driver, all these set the grid with an average time between all sessions.

Nearly every qualifying session I watched last season had a red flag in it which aborts all laps, with grids of 50+ in all endure rounds many cars didn't set a proper lap time in all sessions with quite a few never even getting a chance to do more then an out lap.

Some races also have a final super pole session that gives 1 driver 2 laps to set a pole time. ICGT I haven't really looked into the rules as yet.
  19. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

As far as I know Bathurst, Laguna and Kyalami had a top 10 ten shootout compared to the normal top 20 shootout. It also has little things like different pit speed limits and changes to the pit stop procedure.. Unfortunately Kunos did not build a product/UI with flexible rule sets in mind therefore for SP all ICGT events take on the rules for GT world challenge. :confused::thumbsdown:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/1-3-icgt-dlc-rules.62571/
  20. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

I'm for taking 5 minutes out of practice to get more qualifying, yes some drivers will get multiple attempts to better their time but I prefer that to some people getting royally screwed out of a quali attempt from something out of their control