Division 3 - Season 3

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
  2. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Qualified 3rd. Was pretty nervous actually seeing @seowster’s blitzing lap in the practice lobby and being 6 secs off the pace till I realised I’d quit to the pits and had a heavy fuel load.

Both @arnold watson and I got a good jump on @disturboed but I could not manoeuvre around without risking a spin so I backed off early only to get @kayne greenwood closing in up the inside. The voice in my head startled me with a fairly loud “one length behind”, and a little hesitation was all it took to get running wide onto the wrong side of the ripples. Kayne goes zooming by and next up is @LOW_NZ with a run into turn 2. I half outbraked him but he stubbornly refused to cede the position without a fight so I lifted slightly to let him go onto the straight.

I put pressure on Low all lap 1, and outbraked him again turn 2, but this time I had the inside and came away in front. Outbraked myself after the fast right (turn 7?) and ran in deep, allowing low to close in, and he had an attack at my inside turn 8 but that puddle on the inside must have caught him out and he quickly fell back.

Lap 3 now and I could see Kayne backing it in to some of the turns, which looked cool but was definitely costing him time when Arnold had an off in the stadium section exiting turn 9 and riding the grass all the way around turn 10, moving from 1st to 3rd and tantalisingly close. He however got a brilliant run onto the fstart/finish straight and retook 2nd.

After all that chopping and changing I was now on both of their tails, and as they were so close to each other and all trying to find a way past they were each slowing the other down. Turbo went super defensive into turn 7, running a real tight entry which ran him wide on the exit allowing both Arnold and Kayne through. I saw an opportunity as he was slow into turn 8, but as I dove for the inside so did he, and he rode the curb a little causing a drift which slowed him even more. I had nowhere to go and gave him a big shunt in the rear which I though for sure was gonna turn him right around but luckily it just boosted him forward. It slowed me considerably though and I dropped back nearly 4 secs.

By now (lap 5) the rain had stopped and the track was at its worst, and turbo was either pushing too hard or struggling, as he was losing touch with the leaders and dropping back to me. He got a great run out of the hairpin however and looked like he was trying a move at turn 7 but he made contact with Kayne and I whizzed past as they were both facing the wrong way mid corner.

So now I was second, but it didn’t take long for Kayne to start applying pressure. Arnold was slowing on lap 7 and I closed the gap right back down, with Kayne right on my tail. I misread arnold’s Intentions however, and on the second last turn he cut in tight to pit. As he’d slowed so much I though I could pass and shunted him, slowing myself again and letting Kayne past. This was a bold move from Arnold, as I’d also tested switching to semi-slicks while the track was still this wet, and I found it un-driveable, but at the time I did not realise his gamble and just thought he was getting it out of the way early. I had a little half slide coming on to the big straight lap 8 which turned into a tankslapper, and turbo went past as I slowed to avoid a spin and rejoined the circuit in 3rd. Later that lap turbo ran wide on the exit of turn 9 and span himself around in the stadium section, handing back 2nd.

Kayne pitted end of lap 8 and I inherited the lead. I slowly opened the gap back to turbo over the next few laps and started to think about when to pit. I decided I would change my strategy, as the track was still staying fairly wet, and at the time I felt I was running fast enough not to have to change tyres, so on lap 11 I changed my strategy to no tyres. I now had a good 5 second gap to turbo, 12 to Low, both of whom hadn’t yet pitted, and about 18 secs back to Kayne who had. I thought I was sitting pretty...

Hit my brake marker turn 9 lap 12, but didn’t slow enough and found myself way wide, putting two wheels into the gravel and getting sucked off the circuit. DAMMIT!! I managed not to spin but by the time I was back up to pace turbo was just under 2 secs back. Now Kayne was 14 secs back and I knew he’d be past me when I pitted even with no tyres. DOUBLE DAMMIT!!!’

Now I started to try and push, but I was already going as fast as my skills allowed, so now I started bleeding hundredths. A little late here, a little wide there, and I was going backwards. I said stuff it, I’ll put now (L13) and reset, hopefully get my rhythm back. A clean pit entry, and first turbo then Low zoomed past. As I left my box, Kayne also went by, and was 7 secs up the road. Low must have had an incident, as I closed quickly on him in the stadium section, and rode his coattails all lap 15 until he made another mistake turn 9, running too deep and into the gravel. All of a sudden I noticed Arnold closing in hand over fist, last I checked he was 7 secs back and was now just over 3, and I was running at full pace. It was then I realised he must be on the semi-slicks, and in my distracted state watching him close in over the lap, I ran wide same place Low had just a lap earlier, and Arnold took 3rd, never to be seen again.

6 laps to go now, turbo still hadn’t pitted and was only 13 secs ahead, so had high hopes for at least a podium. The car was starting to get a little taily now the track was drying, and with 5 to go, I run a little wide on exit of turn 1. My rear tyre just touched the outside ripples but it was enough to upset the applecart and next thing you know I’ve collided with the inside pit exit wall and spun a full 360 back across the track. Now I was 20 secs from turbo and that podium seemed out of reach. Over the next few laps the track dried considerably, and as i went from under steering to oversteer on the black bits of cheese that were once tyres, I cursed myself for not waiting to pit till later and changing to semi-‘s. Turbo pitted lap 18, and almost instantly a +10 appeared next to his name. A glimmer of hope as I correctly assumed he messed his entry speed. I round turn 1 as he exits and we are neck-a-neck up to turn 2. I’m a little cautious over the first strip of water onto the big straight, and he pulls slightly ahead. We both run very deep into the hairpin but I’m right on his tail with a little drift on exit. I run up to his inside for the right kink but run a little deep into turn 7. He’s on the inside as I turn in a little an suddenly there’s a front wheel beside me then I’m spinning. I’m not entirely sure who was at fault, but turbo looked like he was waiting for me so I rejoined ahead. If I turned down on you turbo I’m happy to take a penalty?

The final 4 laps were a battle just to keep the car facing the right way, with turbo keeping pace and keeping me honest until a huge dive turn 10 lap 21 had him spin out and drop back.

In the end I came home 3rd, but over 30 secs behind the eventual winner Arnold, and about 20 secs behind Kayne. Well done guys.
    kayne greenwood and Anthonyb like this.
  3. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    Dude, don't worry, I can barely remember that incident, i have no freakin' idea. LOL :D:D:D:D:eek::confused::coffee::whistling::whistling:
    Ad2mny likes this.
  4. kayne greenwood

kayne greenwood Rookie

Gee whiz you should start writing books Ads that was an entertaining read :)
    Ad2mny likes this.
  5. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Cheers mate. If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many you reckon a 40 minute race would have ha ha ha.
  6. kayne greenwood

kayne greenwood Rookie

7. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    [​IMG]

ROUND 6 : OSCHERSLEBEN A COURSE : 27 LAPS : 1/7/18
    - Qual Time - @ 12pm - (1 weather slot - Light Cloud)
    - Race Time - @ 1pm - Clear / Light Cloud / Med Cloud / Light Cloud
    - Time progression - REAL
    - Compulsory pit stop - YES
    - Fuel : OFF
    - TYRE WEAR : ACCELERATED
    - Weather progression : Sync to race

ROOM OPEN : Most room captains will 'try' to have rooms open by about 7:50 EDST. Please be on time, or let the room captain or div thread if you may be late. If all agree, the room may wait for you, Within reason. Please remember we have drivers from NZ, and later starts mean a much later night for them.

QUALIFYING : 8:10 EDST

RACE START TIME : 8:20 EDST

LAG ISSUES / ROOM RESTARTS : This is up to the room host. If there is a Disconnection at race start, it is sporting to try to get them back in, which may mean a new room to be set up. I always look at 1 or 2 starts if required due to DSC, but as it gets later everyone needs to be aware of getting things going. Please be as reasonable as you can with this....

TURN 1 LAP 1 : This has the potential to ruin someones night if we don't use our heads ! The brake zone is long, for the guys at the back half of the grid, PLEASE make sure you don't cannonball through the guys in front. Turn 1 and Turn 2 will be very tricky for the first few laps while we are all bunched up. Should be everyone's goal to get through the first lap with ZERO contact. Give room and run in your 'lane' till you have space to run the normal race line.

TRACK LIMITS : As we are running with 'track limit penalties" OFF, we will run with our usual Raceonoz track limit regulations. This means you MUSThave at least 2 wheels on the ripple strip OR white line that defines the track limit. Be careful at the chicane, easy to cut there. Drivers will be penalised if they cut the track to gain any advantage.

COMPULSORY PIT STOP : YES. You WON'T need to change tyres this round. You will need to save a Caterham strategy, with 1L of fuel, no tyres and turn off all damage repairs. Make sure you select that strategy before you go to the track in qual, and then check it in the ready up screen before race start.

PIT ENTRY / EXIT : Drivers MUST make an attempt to use the pit entry / exit lines. The Pit entry for Oschersleben is in the middle of the final 2 right turns. You will need to be at 60KLM at the pit entry control line (which is around the first curve of the pit entry), any more than that you will receive a penalty, or a possible DSQ if you go in way too fast.

PIT EXIT : Drivers MUST use the full pit exit lane, which rejoins the track in the middle of TURN 2. The exit is very tricky with a sharp right turn just before the exit onto the track proper. Be careful if you are following someone out, as you nearly need to come to a full stop to make the turn. Make sure you are aware of fast approaching traffic. If you are on the circuit and approaching the pit exit as someone is exiting, be sure to make some room to avoid contact. A little courtesy can avoid ruining 2 races...Also note that the control line for the exit is at the GREEN WITCHES HATS, NOT THE WHITE LINE ACROSS THE TRACK.

BLUE FLAGS : Please observe blue flags, and move out of the way of faster cars if you are being lapped. Best to get off the race line, and with a small lift let them go, so you can continue the race without incident. Failure to observe blue flags WILL result in a penalty

STEWARDS GROUP AND RACE PROTESTS : This season the stewards will be myself, autech91 and Garyw61. If you have reason to protest, please SAVE YOUR REPLAY, and then let us know via a PM.

DO NOT BLOW UP IN THE FORUM OR IN THE ROOM CHAT. There have been multiple incidents where the replays from drivers have been different, so its true that sometimes things are not as black and white as they may seem. You have until MIDNIGHT, Monday night to register your protest via PM. We will ask for video evidence from both drivers or room captain to make any decision.

SAVE YOUR REPLAY : If the room host can ask all drivers to save their replay would be good before exiting the room.....once they exit out and the option goes, it cant be retrieved !
  8. Dosy

Dosy Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Doski-17
    Good luck tonight everyone:)
    Fingers crossed my internet doesn't drop out during the race again like last week while having fun in the rain :D I'm supposedly on the fastest speed for cable internet and when the NBN comes along the stories don't seem to flattering either. Anyway should be all good :thumbsup:
  9. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    I should be good to host again tonight, I've switched providers again and so far not having any issues like I was connecting to rooms and such as i did with the other mob (bad experiment that was, thank god for no contract). So i will try and get on early enough to stress test it and get some people in the room.
    PaulCox likes this.
  10. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    ill be on..
  11. kayne greenwood

kayne greenwood Rookie

What times you doing turboed, I havn't practiced at all haha
  12. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    i just managed a 1.38.3 but says i could do a 1.36.1...so im guessing the top boys a doin 1.34s
  13. LOW_NZ

LOW_NZ Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    LOW_NZ
    Haha that makes the two of us, I’ve just got back from a weekend away.
    I thought I heard that due to state of origin there might not be a race tonight??
  14. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    It was mooted, but not endorsed i believe, so the round stands as scheduled.

@kayne greenwood my first laps for this combo this week will be tonight LOL
  15. Dev1lman_87

Dev1lman_87 Rookie

PSN ID
    Dev1lman_87 Swampy_Marsh
    i wont be on tonight i'll be watching the game
  16. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
  17. POPPINFRESH1234

POPPINFRESH1234 Team Driver

PSN ID
    PoppinFr3sh987
    disturboed likes this.
  18. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
  19. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    hey guys.....

Dont forget new season entry thread, please let me know what you intend on doing
    http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/season-4-entry-thread.3235/

Will be a race car for sure, will be testing this week and next before i go away on hols.......Dont forget the huge prizepack will be up for grabs as well.....lets get a big entry list !
    Stu
  20. LOW_NZ

LOW_NZ Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    LOW_NZ